1st planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dwarf sag will not carpet in your light. I have the same setup as you and mine grows leaves about 18" tall.
Your crypt should do great, although you should try to separate it into more smaller clumps.
Also you should pull your java fern out of the substrate because they need light and water flow to their rhizome (the thick brown root that all the smaller roots originate from). They really do best when tied onto a rock or piece of wood.

I disagree. My dwarf sag stays under 3-4" and carpeted most of my low light 10g.

The only problem I see really is there is a lack of plant food in the tank. At low light levels there really isn't a need for ferts as they are all added by fish and fish food. But the plants really do need a source of nitrogen whether its nitrate, nitrite, or ammonia.

For now there isn't any ferts for the plants but he did say he was going to get some shrimp and guppies this weekend. They should give some natural fertilizer.
But I would add some root tabs for the crypts because they are mostly root feeders.

I also add water from my big tank because it has the nitrates in it, until I get the fishies in there.

2 week update.

The fancy guppies started dying slowly, one every couple days. I put an air stone in the tank and run it at night. The shrimp are doing great and have shed a couple times. I added some swords and moved the java fern to the DW. When I checked the levels, they were all low, ammonia .5 nitrite .25 nitrate 5. I'll be checking again tomorrow to see where the levels are again.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398178811.632837.jpg

Back
Top Bottom