1st time using API test kit. high nitrates. i think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furryeggs

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just got the API master test kit as i've not tested my water... ever.

here the results

PH- 7.6
High range PH- 8.0
nitrite- 0
Nitrate 40-80 (the colours neither 40 or 80)
Ammonia 0

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391024549.500825.jpg

Planted 270L, canister filter, T5 light, co2 injection

I've done a 25% water change today and my Nitrates are now clearly 40ppm. is this still a little high?

Very nice looking tank.

The generally accepted safe level of nitrate for fish is said to be 50 ppm. Most of us try to keep tanks around 20 ppm, or less.

Plants alone don't much care how high the nitrates are. They use up nitrates, and they can also use ammonia and nitrite.

But with fish, you do have to keep it under control. You don't have enough plants to use up the nitrates being produced by your filter, or they'd be doing that. Or perhaps you haven't done enough water changes to keep it under control. Not cleaning the filter often enough can also contribute to higher nitrates.

I'd aim to keep the nitrate level around 20 if at all possible. And all that having been said, fish can acclimatize to chronic higher levels of nitrates over time, and then, suddenly lowering the nitrates can shock them, even kill them. I sincerely hope this does not happen to your fish.

Back
Top Bottom