1x3 triple cube aquascape concept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Driftwood has been soaking for over 10 days with daily water changes. Here is my first study of main tank DW position. PVC sheet is to avoid carpet choice to invade midground and vice versa.

Attachments

• image-2226114770.jpg
    image-2226114770.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 130
  • image-402478519.jpg
    image-402478519.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 132
I'll be curious to see how the barrier works! Since HC spreads via surface roots are you worried about it climbing right over the barrier?

Interesting way to block off the plants from spreading. I have heard people doing that before and it should work...I wouldnt worry about HC climbing over the surface, it should be easy to keep trimmed....

I'll be curious to see how the barrier works! Since HC spreads via surface roots are you worried about it climbing right over the barrier?

I might leave a "lip" sticking out to avoid that. Once the carpet is tall enough, it will be unnoticeable. I am also considering Dwarf Hair-grass instead of dwarf baby tears: the idea of a dry start is too advanced for someone with just a couple of months into the hobby. At the same, I don't have the patience of the monks. My pwc are, 100% of the time, featuring completely health dwarf baby tears as floaters.

My main focus now is to architect the green background for the main tank. I am a little confused on how the lateral part of the main tank will transition to the left side of the right tank and the right side of the left tank (medial edges).

I am working on some concepts right now.

So basically one of the ways to integrate the three tanks (besides the substrate levels and overall topography) is creating some level of continuity on vegetation.

I have some basic ideas in regards to greens and reds, but I am not married to any concept.

Please click on each image and read the caption. Feel free to drop your contribution below, I will not take it personal ( yes, feel free to say you think this is crap. Sometimes, negative feedback is more powerful than positive ones)

image-4116122831.jpg

You are, by now, tired of seeing this one. But please keep the topography in mind.

image-2798573592.jpg

When you add plants to the equation, substrate becomes less obvious, so you do have to rely on other aspects to create the trinity effect.

image-193434352.jpg

Here are a few options. Please note that the foreground can either converge to the middle or spread from the middle. That's something I need help.

image-2902341883.jpg

If we focus on the central tank, the front grass can go out, becoming bigger on the other tanks

image-3773488834.jpg

Or the other way around, where the side tanks will look more bushy with less carpet.

Any ideas?

I like the more bushy or taller plants in the outside tanks and more carpet in the center tank, the way I see it in my head it makes a nice picture frame to draw your eyes into the 3 tanks.

I think I like the third rendering, the one with the red bushy plants to the sides. I also like that idea of using PVC sheets, I may have to adopt that someday. I think the options you have laid out all have potential. Go with your gut instinct.

I know this is a little radical, but when I watched this video the other night I thought of your build. The two cubes at 2:45 into the video timeline.. haha... interesting how the continuity was created with the driftwood and how it even extends beyond the confines of the cubes.

All. ALL people I asked (friends, wife, co-workers) prefer the concept of longer, non- greens on the outside. I am not 100% sold.

Option 1: most popular, creates a "frame", guides the eye to the center piece:

image-2344246477.jpg

Most non-greens on the outer walls of side tanks.

Option 2: alone, I am bullied by friends, they don't get it but I think WHEn done (might be a year from today), will make te side tank extensions of the center piece.

image-1574085035.jpg

Most non-greens are on the inner walls of the side tanks, but also on the side on central tank.

PS: pictures used from the internet without permission. If this image is yours and you feel offended by the way I am using, please let me know.

I know this is a little radical, but when I watched this video the other night I thought of your build.

Pretty good stuff. I originally thought about that, but I want to use the space in between the tanks to fit a custom, removable stand that will hold a bucket above all tanks for water changes, conditioning, etc.

Option 2 definitely makes the plants the main focus point and if that's what you like better than do that! I like the way you put the Internet pics together, I still like the 1st option though haha, makes me feel like I'm swimming and surrounded by underwater forests

Still have to do all the internal wires and lights, but Everything has unfolded as I had foreseen...

image-3038351621.jpg

Stand for water changes fits in between the tanks.

Attachments

• image-1375868752.jpg
    image-1375868752.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image-3310521935.jpg
    image-3310521935.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1918542681.jpg
    image-1918542681.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image-2161722133.jpg
    image-2161722133.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 124
  • image-773768816.jpg
    image-773768816.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 131
Just finished the water change on the planted tank.

Attachments

• image-3710173468.jpg
    image-3710173468.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 133
Unfortunately, they don't make the Ray2 for 12". These are the regular Finnex Fugeray.

Back
Top Bottom