2.5 Gallon decorating ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! I have set up a little shrimp/snail tank and I'm just lost when it comes to decorating it. The only thing I really like is the rock in it--the small plant is very cheap and kind of falling apart, and just unattractive. The plant on the right is a little tall/wide for the tank itself so it kind of sticks to the sides.

I'm probably going to add a blue or black background, although with black I'm a little worried that there won't be enough color thanks to the gravel.

I was thinking of maybe taking them out and then putting a small decoration in the middle with moss surrounding it, but that doesn't leave much room for hiding places :/

Anyone ever work with a small tank like this and had success decorating?

It's stocked with 3 ghost shrimp and an apple snail. Here's a (blurry) picture:
e69255.jpg

If you are going with moss, then maybe you can get a few pieces of driftwood and some "river" rock to hold the wood down. A blue background or black, either is great. and put the moss on the driftwood, if you have the correct lighting. you could also put some baby tears (aquatic plant) on the ground although I don't know if it would live with jst gravel. If you are getting real plants what lighting are u using?

That's the problem, all I have is this light that came with my PetCo 2g hex tank and I just put it on top of my glass lid. I don't know much about it at all, but I figured moss would work best with my lighting situation.

where's the best place to get river rock or drift wood?

hmm you can get drift wood usually at your local fish store and river rock is sold at petco or lfs. I looked online at petco to see what rock I ordered, but couldn't find it so it might be only sold in stores. The rocks I have are decorator rocks measuring from 2.5 inches to 4in. Here is a similiar product, but it might be to light to hold down driftwood. The light I use is not all that great either lol. I got a hood and used stock lighting, course I replaced it with just a fluorescent zoomed bulb. They don't make them small enough for your tank so I really don't know the best lighting for you.

I have cheap "low" lighting and gravel and I have 9 plants including a fern that has turned into about five! However, moss might need more light. Possibly a freshwater mini T-5 fixture could work, but they do get pricey.

I just bought a chunk of red lava rock today to put in the tank, not really thinking of how its sharp edges might affect my snail. Should I return it?

Save it for another tank someday, I try to keep all my old decorations, rocks and what have you.

Back
Top Bottom