2.5 Gallon Photo Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently these fish are pretty hard to come by. I've never seen them in a store. I was lucky enough to have the pair given to me by someone who has about a dozen of them. I believe that they have multiple common names, the one that I'm familiar with is Mosquito Rasbora. If you keep your eye on Aquabid you might be lucky enough to find them there.

Really cool looking fish. How are they personality-wise?

I got them from Ocean Aquarium in SF.They really cool fishies, occasionally schooling together in my 20 which when I put them in 6 wasn't enough.Unfortuantly I lost all my rasbories.Hope you have a good time with them,they're really cool fish.

So far they're a bit skittish, but not too bad now that they've been in the tank for awhile. Basically they just swim about minding their own business and looking pretty.

The Eleocharis Acicularis had become too much of an algae magnet in this tank. It kept insisting on growing too tall for the tank and when trimmed the stems tended to die quickly making even more of a mess. Today I decided that I'd had enough of it and removed it all. I topped several stems of Didiplis Diandra and replanted them where the Eleocharis Acicularis had been. I'm hoping that I can get the Didiplis Diandra growing well enough that the algae problems will start coming under control soon.

While not what I had originally envisioned I think that the Didiplis Diandra is going to work very well in this tank. The pale shade of green contrast nicely with the darker green of the other plants and the size of the leaves is very nice for the size of the tank. So far I haven't been able to encourage any particularly nice colors out of it, but I'm not really going to worry about that until the algae issues are under control.

How are the rasboras doing now? I am thinking about another fish besides a betta for my 3rd 5-gallon tank. Your rasboras are absolutely beautiful!

The Rasboras are doing wonderfully. They are out and about most of the time. Occationally they get a little skiddish and will dash off into hiding, but most if the time they're back out in the open in short order. I'd definately recommend them to anyone looking for a fish for a nano.

Sounds like I might get a chance to try a pair of Pseudomugil Gertrudae as well. From what I understand they should get along great with the Rasboras and are nearly as small. While their colors aren't quite as stunning, they have beautiful fin display that more than makes up for it.

Got a nice shot tonight of the Boraras Brigittae posing in front of the Didiplis Diandra. Of course I was only trying to get a pic of the Didiplis Diandra, but the Boraras Brigittae insisted on being in the shot.

How many rasboras do you have in the 2.5 gallon?

I have seen Pseudomugil gertrudae and if you get them I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I have a pair of the Boraras Brigittae and would be looking at adding a pair of the Pseudomugil Gertrudae which would pretty much max out the bioload for this tank. Hopefully there will still be a smidgen of room to allow me to add a few Cherry Red Shrimp once I have enough in the 10 gallon to share with the other tanks.

Now that I've got CO2 levels back under control, the BBA is starting to recede. I thought I'd get a pick showing the scape overgrown with Didiplis Diandra.

I also got a nice shot of the HC which is actually doing well after I gave up on it and removed all of it except one small piece and a couple of floaters.

Attachments

• 14months_full_127.jpg
    14months_full_127.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 90
Very nice, glad to see the HC is coming back for you. I have just about got my ten with BBA under control, C02 was low and I didn't start dosing soon enough. Your tank is looking great!

Well I recently did a little work on the light fixture and simplified how the lights are suspended above the tank. Check out this thread for a description and pic of the original setup. Basically I replaced the straps with Mounting Cable Ties, which are zip strips with a loop on the end to allow them to be mounted. I find that this is just as effective as the straps were, was easier to setup, gives the tank a cleaner look, and is a bit more stable. I very pleased with the results.

Back
Top Bottom