2.5 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myBrainHurts

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about to upgrade my Betta to a 5 gallon tank from a 2.5 gallon. I have always wanted to have a mini reef and I think I have the chance here. I am open to all suggestions. I already know I am going to get the azoo Palm filter in the near future. I might be able to get some sand from a friend. I have no live rock but LFS with good live rock for sale, and good saltwater as well. I am open to all suggestions before I start this project and I have plenty of time before I start it. Let me know what you think I should do. Easy corals, lighting, and fish(if possible) and cleaning crew.

I was in nearly the exact same situation a year ago! As someone told me when I wanted to make a pico, tiny reefs can be much harder to maintain than larger tanks, and there are next to no options for fish. So definitely consider a larger tank, as there may/will be less maintenance, more options for fish, and more space.

But if you're set on it, picos are amazing!

My suggestions:
- Pick out good lights from the beginning. They may cost more but will cost less than old lights + eventually upgraded ones.
- Invest in good test kits and a refractometer
- You'll need a powerhead for water flow (check out the azoo 180, or similar)
- A refugium can really help with nutrient uptake (I turned a HOB breeder box into a chaeto farm)
- Do lots of research, and ask questions :) aquarium advice and nano-reefs.com are both great places for this.

Ya I already have a 10 gallon and I don't really want another(biggest I can have in my dorm), I have all the test kits minus a couple already. I would hope that the new filter would provide enough flow. 2 more things:

I might keep the Betta where it is and do a pico reef in the 5 Gallon. My reasoning for this is because I would be able to adjust the filter output and direction. So based on that what are some corals you could recommend?

Ya I already have a 10 gallon and I don't really want another(biggest I can have in my dorm), I have all the test kits minus a couple already. I would hope that the new filter would provide enough flow. 2 more things:

I might keep the Betta where it is and do a pico reef in the 5 Gallon. My reasoning for this is because I would be able to adjust the filter output and direction. So based on that what are some corals you could recommend?

Is the 10 a reef? For corals, some beginner/low-light types are zoanthids, palythoas, mushrooms, Xenia, ricordia, leathers, green star polyps, and anthelia.

For a 5 gallon a clown goby is really the only option for fish, but there are tons of possibilities for inverts and coral.

The 10 gallon is a planted peaceful tank. Thanks for your input.

Zoas, mushrooms, and candy canes can come in some pretty awesome colors and they are pretty easy to maintain. I really like green star polyps. I have attached them to the back wall of my 2.5 gal tank and I'm going to let them spread across the whole back wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, I really like LED's for lighting. They are energy efficient and let off almost no heat. Plus you can find some really good deals on Amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom