2 bettas in 1 tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon tank that is divided in half with a piece of plexi-glass that I cut. I want to put a male betta on one side and a female betta on the other. I thought this plan sounded like a good idea until I read that bettas should be kept in seperate tanks. If they can see eachother they will flare and get stressed. The divider I'm using is clear and I'm sure the bettas will be able to see through it. Has anyone else heard of this? Do you think this set-up will work? If not, I will take the divider out and just get one male betta. Will any other fish get along with a male betta in a 10 gallon tank?

We have a 5.5 and a 20L both divided. The 5.5 has a male/female and the 20 is male/3 females/male. None of ours are stressed. But we also have plenty of live plants for them to hide behind if they need to.

It honestly depends on the fish's temperament. It is more likely the bettas with not get along. But there is a chance that they will get along , but there will have to me a mediator. I dont want to tell you to put them together. But if you read about it further , you will find that in nature , they all got along in a civilized environment. It was not until when the humans got involved in the breeding process that they all did not get along. If by some chance you get two that will get along , you can let them in the same waters and be great, but it probably will not happend with some other fish that can be a mediator.

This is not something that i have experience with , as i had no options to deal with them if they did not get along , but just something that i read online... GOOGLE

Female betta fish are not quite that aggressive towards each other, though it is recommended that there be many hiding places inside a tank if several female betta fish are to be kept together. Keeping two male betta fish together will almost certainly result in one dying

From Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

You'll hear 10 different opinions on betta sorority tanks from 5 different people. I've got two females in a ten gallon, but I kept an EXTREMELY close eye on them for the first few weeks. I still keep a close eye on them. I originally had three, but one ended up being impossibly aggressive. I had to give her to my girlfriend. She flares when people walk past... If you do try it, I would suggest being ready and willing to rehome one if need be.

I don't see a problem with it. As a matter of fact I would do this....place your divider in there then go to the store and buy 6-8 fake plants and line each side of the divider with them so it's like they're neighbors that don't want eachother looking in their yards :)

If it is plexi just sand one side of it to create a frosted look.

With my divided tanks I bought this plastic mesh at Walmart, and I just stuck that in the middle right next to the divider. It has holes in it so the light and water still filters through, but they can barely see eachother. And the mesh is about $3 for 6 sheets, and you can find it in the craft section. :)

Back
Top Bottom