2 HOB Filters in 38 Gal Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j402

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it good? if I put 2 HOB filters(rated for 20 Gal Aquarium) in 38 Gal Aquarium? Currently I have 2 Fantail and 1 Red Oranda in 15Gal Aquarium and thinking to upgrade to bigger aquarium. I found one 38 Gal aquarium on sale at local Fish Store. I am getting only aquarium and canopy. No Filter or anything else, since I have a spare HOB filter, I am thinking to use 2 HOB filters. But I'm not sure if this is ok or not.
Thanks..................
user_online.gif
progress.gif
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2163501

The more filtration the better IMO. Especially with goldfish. We don't keep goldfish, but all our tanks have filtration going that is rated for tanks twice their size.

Goldfish are known to be rather dirty fish, they produce lots of waste. So I'd keep the two filters that you have now going on the 38 when you get it.

thats really barely cutting it for that tank... with goldfish, youre going to have to do alot of pwc's to keep the tank clean with just two filters rated for 20g... i would get 2 filters rated for at least 40g or a good canister filter

if you have it go for it. though i would really look into getting bigger and better hobs. they often over rate the filters. for my set ups i basically cut the rating in half.

I'm going to be setting up a 38 gal. and plan on using a CAN and HOB. Both rated over a 38 gal. :cool:

If you need to run those filters for a while on a 38 g tank, go ahead and get the tank and run them, you can always upgrade later. A 38 is better for the goldies.

I run a AC50 and an AC20 on my 40g now. I did have twin AC20's on it. I had to stagger the intake tube levels to get some minimal flow out of the pair.

Overfiltration is never a bad thing.

Thanks guys

Thank you.. Guys...
I'll first get 38Gal tank and then later on when i'll save up money i'll ugrade filters.
Again Thank you all, for your suggestion...

I have a AC 70 hanging on the back of a 20 gallon tank with three small Goldfish, a 3" Sculpin and a 3" Bluegill.

Although the water quality is good and I do 50% changes weekly, it barely makes it.

thats really barely cutting it for that tank... with goldfish, youre going to have to do alot of pwc's to keep the tank clean with just two filters rated for 20g... i would get 2 filters rated for at least 40g or a good canister filter

(y)

you definitely need better filtration.

I would get a bigger tank and bigger filters. The oranda can get up to 10" long. A 38G would be a little small IMO. If you havent bought it yet I would consider a bigger tank. Maybe cruise Craigslist for a larger one cheap. A lot of times you can get one with filters and lights and such.

I would get a bigger tank and bigger filters. The oranda can get up to 10" long. A 38G would be a little small IMO. If you havent bought it yet I would consider a bigger tank. Maybe cruise Craigslist for a larger one cheap. A lot of times you can get one with filters and lights and such.
well I was going to buy 55 Gal, but space was the issue. That's why I have to go with 38 gal.

well if space is an issue and money isnt as big of an issue, you could go with a 60g column or something of that sort... depending on the demensions of that tank, you would probably have about the same amount of space taken up, just taller.. trust me when i say you will always want a bigger tank, and 60g would provide much more stocking compatability than a 38g... jmo

They can get that big but rarely do in smaller aquariums. I had two angels in a 26g they stayed small, they didnt grow until they got into a larger aquarium. Some fish will grow no matter what but some species stunt their growth to fit their environments. Thats why you rarely see big fish in a small pond.

We live in a cold environment so my parents house their pond goldfish in a ~35gal and a 20gal tank during the winter months. They have a large pond so the fish are growing quite large (and are very beautiful fish!). She was previously running 2 so-so quality HOB filters on each of the tanks. Running 2 filters per tank was working fine but the low quality filters were difficult to clean. I finally made the order and replaced the filters on the larger tank with an AquaClear 110 and swapped out one on the smaller tank with an AC 70. It's not even close to overkill with the size of the fish and it works great. It's proven to them and me that there's no such thing as a filter that is too large! I'd like to convince her to look into canister in the future but upgrading the pond filtration system is next on the to do list.

Update!!!!

OK Guys, I was ready to set up my new 38 Gal Tank, I washed it and did leak test by filling it up 1/4, it was leaking, not too bad but it was:(. So I took it back to store, they didn't have another 38 Gal in stock. But the owner gave me 40 Gal Tank instead for no extra cost :D. Anyway I just filled it up again for Leak test and so far no leak, but I'll wait little bit.
Ok So any suggestion,
1. How should I transfer from my 15 Gal to this new 40 Gal tank? (Just fill it up and transfer all the stuff including Filter and fish to 40 Gal)
2. Or I have to cycle 40 Gal Again?

Thanks......

OK Guys, I was ready to set up my new 38 Gal Tank, I washed it and did leak test by filling it up 1/4, it was leaking, not too bad but it was:(. So I took it back to store, they didn't have another 38 Gal in stock. But the owner gave me 40 Gal Tank instead for no extra cost :D. Anyway I just filled it up again for Leak test and so far no leak, but I'll wait little bit.
Ok So any suggestion,
1. How should I transfer from my 15 Gal to this new 40 Gal tank? (Just fill it up and transfer all the stuff including Filter and fish to 40 Gal)
2. Or I have to cycle 40 Gal Again?

Thanks......

Yes, just transfer everything over to the new tank. You may get a mini cycle, but that should be short lived.

Unless more fish are added, there isn't going to be more of a bioload in the tank than what there is now. The amount of time it takes for the water to turn over will be increased, however in the same respect the amount of waste the fish produce will be diluted. So, all in all, this will be fine for a temporary arrangement.

I do believe that transferring the bacteria over will be better than starting from scratch. In post 8, it is stated that when money is saved up a new filter will be purchased.

The other option the is to leave the tank empty until a new filter can be purchased, then transfer over everything to seed the new filter. Personally, I'd get my fish in a bigger tank and put the old filters on it as a short term fix.

Back
Top Bottom