2 Male German Blue Rams. Question about weird behavior.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richieh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So a week ago, I got a pair of German Blue Rams from a LFS. The staff adviced me to get two males because I was not intending to breed them. He said as long as my tank has enough space, the two males will mark their own territory and flash/ram at each other once in a while.

However, it has been one week, and the two male rams I got are like best buddies, always by each others side. Although, one of them is obviously the more dominant one, as it is much more colorful than the other male (and will sometime chase the other one away).

I am starting to think that I actually got a male/female pair? I visited the same LFS yesterday and the staff told me that the behavior is normal and they are indeed both males. Can any ram experts out there confirm this?

Most LFS's sell juvenile German Rams, making it difficult to determine gender.
Although the fish store employee might have positively identified the gender it's a little odd to be so certain unless the Rams are adults.
Females will developed a pink spot on their belly as they mature.
Each fish has it's own personality. Sometimes unlikely combinations of fish can peacefully coexist.

Back
Top Bottom