2 many Guppies What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last year I bought my first tank a 29 high and bought 5 female and 2 male guppies Now a year later I had to upgrade to a 55 and have 2 many guppies. Every time i get alot of fry 2 or 3 adults die off. This has been a continus cycle. Is this normal?

And how do i get rid of about 15 fish guppies and platties I dont want to kill all these healthy fish. Will Some lfs take fish for free? I want to use the 55 for my brackish setup.

Unfortanetly, Guppies aren't the hardiest fish out there. They are often imbred and generally unhealthy. (Mind you, not all of them, but some).

To answer your Q though: Yes. Most LFS's will either take back or pay (or give store credit) for your fish. Unfortanetly, this will continue to be a problem unless you get rid of all of one gender and keep all of another. (Like sending back all the females, and keeping the males).

Or, if you want to keep males and females, get a larger fish that will eat the fry....

How many guppies do you think you have in the tank?

I have about 6 adult guppies 3 adult platties and 2 many fry platties and guppies to count this time only 3 males they never dye off only the females and i know about the inbreading. I just want to get rid of all my fish and use the tank for my bw but dont want to kill them all.

The guppies make great feeders. fish such as a clown knife, or needlefish, oscar, bichers, puffers, will love having an over abundance of fish to choose from. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom