2 questions co2 and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello

OK diy co2 is keeping up with demand so I had a 20 lb cylinder and filled it with co2. I have a regulator ( prob not the right kind ) but, what pressure should it be set at ? I dont have a solonoid yet, can I use a valve and manually do ? Do I run 1/4 tubing direct or through some sort of orafice ?

Next I see some beautiful tanks with ground covering plants... what are some good ones to use?

29 gallon moderately planted 2x96 watt CF Flourite base w gravel top layer.

thank you all :)

You will need a needle valve to limit the flow of CO2 from your regulator. Normal regulators do not have the fine adjustment necessary to dispense the minute trickle of CO2 that a planted tank requires. There is a CO2 sticky here in the Plant forums and here's another link to more information on CO2 and needle valves:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/solenoid.html#4

are u running 184 watts on your tank!!!! thast like 10 watts per gallon once u do the conversion of cf lighting. thats insane. i thought lonewolf was bad for alot of light lol

Good point mr funktastic :) That is an incredible amount of light (if accurate) and will make it hard to keep things balanced in your tank.

Agreed, remove one bulb. 96w is plenty for a 29gal.

psi going into the aquarium is usually around 4psi. This is why you need a quality needle valve...even a good regulator is only gonna get down to 10-15psi and still hold stable. Needle valve lets you dial it down precisely.

I chose glossostigma elantoides - I think they will look great and I have riccia fluitans - not a groundcover plant because it needs to be attached to rock or wood, but I am growing the glosso around the rock so it looks like it just rises up from it...

Back
Top Bottom