2 quick questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawling68

Aquarium Advice Activist
alright im getting close :D , but had 2 more questions.

1. Does curing live rock really stink that bad(should i do it in the garage its so bad)
2. For a R/O System-does it have to be for a tank specifically. I was thinking if i spent that much money for one, i might as well buy one that mounts under the sink and use that to fill the tank?

1. Yes it's a very bad smell and I wouldn't recommend doing it inside the house.

2. Doesn't have to be for tank specifically. Lots of people have them under the sink and if you add a little storage container you can use it for drinking water too.

1. Yeah the curing process can be a bit smelly, I just cured 40# of Keys rock from LR.com in the basement. I thought my wife was gonna kill me! 8O But the smell only lasted about three or four days.

2. Check out eBay. I bought a 110GPD RO/DI with storage tank from FiltersDirect for $110.00 + S&H. Works great!

1. Does curing live rock really stink that bad(should i do it in the garage its so bad)

The smell is directly proportionate to the amount of dieoff. If you have significant dieoff then yes it will smell like you have something decomposing in your living room. BUT if you are agressive with cleanign the rock when it arrives and cleaning the rock thru the curing process as well as performing water changes then the smell can be limited.

A drinking water solution is just fine

I just assumed you meant curing uncured rock.. if it's cured rock then it won't be so bad if you do as fishfreek mentioned.

I found the filters on ebay as well, i am getting one now. I'm confused about cured/uncured rock. If you buy cured, you still have to re-cure it :? ?

No, if it's already cured, you should be able to put it your tank with pre-mixed/aged water, and start the cycling process. That's how I understand it.

The whole cured/uncured thing doesn't really matter when it's a new tank. If it was an established system then you'd have to make sure to fully cure it beforehand. In a new tank, the curing facilitates cycling.

The main point was that if you go uncured then the smell will be very strong and last for some time. And you'll have to do a lot of scrubbing and water changing if you want to keep anything alive in there. I'd also skim aggressively. All this leads to a much longer cycle.

I've tried uncured and I wouldn't do it again.

Back
Top Bottom