20 Gallon High SA Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this is my new office tank that will be stocked with South American fish (likely a shoal of tetras and either a Bolivian Ram or a pair of Apistos). It's been cycling for a few weeks and has entered the "nitrite spike" phase, so it will hopefully be ready in another week and a half or so. I've transferred over some Java Fern and Hornwort from my other tank. The Java Fern is held in place by plant anchors on top of the sand, with a thin layer of sand to cover the anchor. I'll be planting a few more soon. The Amano wood still floats and is currently anchored by bog wood. I kind of like how it looks and may just leave it as is permanently.

I'm still not sure about the tetra species. I was thinking Pristellas or Blue Emperors, but may actually go with Cardinals. I feel like the dark background and substrate beg for additional color. Good thing I still have time to decide.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That looks really nice! I'm working on a larger SA biotope, so I'll definitely watch this thread.

That looks really nice! I'm working on a larger SA biotope, so I'll definitely watch this thread.

Thanks! It's a small tank, so the coolness factor will be limited (at least, in regard to the stocking). But I'll see what I can do with it.

What if you added a small shoal of cories?

I think I'm going to do that. The wood setup screams, "Cory playground!" to me. I'm thinking of doing a half-dozen False Juliis and, after the tank matures, a single Bolivian Ram who will hopefully not mind the corys.

Still trying to decide between Bleeding Heart and Emperor Tetras for the middle of the tank. Leaning towards the latter due to lateral space limitations.

Made the mistake of letting our house-sitter feed my fish...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439231241.877855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

After two days of cleaning and many 50% WCs, I finally got the water chemistry back under control. Replaced the three Corys that died of ammonia poisoning, added 10 Green Neons, and added some Hornwort. Will be adding a pleco in another month or so.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439231393.868362.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439231431.689950.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439231447.011788.jpg

Wow...did they dump the whole bottle in at once?
Tank looks alot better!

sit in silence...

Here's my new Clown (L104). Apologies for the poor exposure. The tank is not well-lit and he's rather shy.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441816722.391275.jpg

The Green Neons have been hanging out low and behind the tree root feature, so I added some Marbled Harchets to jazz up the top of the water column. Added a few more plants as well.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446741500.689341.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446741516.744300.jpg

Really nice looking tank! After the over feeding mess what is your current stock?

Really nice looking tank! After the over feeding mess what is your current stock?

Thanks! Current stocking is:

19 Green Neons
6 Three-lined (Leopard) Cory
6 Marbled Hatchets
1 Clown Pleco (L104)

I do one 30% WC per week and, despite the pleco and general overstocking, I have yet to hit 10 ppm nitrate in this tank. Must be the Hornwort.

Thanks! Current stocking is:

19 Green Neons
6 Three-lined (Leopard) Cory
6 Marbled Hatchets
1 Clown Pleco (L104)

I do one 30% WC per week and, despite the pleco and general overstocking, I have yet to hit 10 ppm nitrate in this tank. Must be the Hornwort.

Got my first green neons a few months ago, love their colors. A group of 19 must look awesome!

Got my first green neons a few months ago, love their colors. A group of 19 must look awesome!

When they're not hunkering down in the back of the tank, yes. They look great during feeding time.

I have no idea why they're so shy. Black sand, black background, lighting is a single white LCD strip, and a third of the tank is covered with floating plants, I have plenty of hiding spots, etc. Are yours this withdrawn?

Back
Top Bottom