20 gallon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arklatex

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, ive got a 20 gallon tank thats been cycled and is ready for stocking. Its my first tank other than a betta ive had. I'm not sure how many fish i can put in the tank all together. I would like to have as many different fish as possible and also a few shrimp as well. Any suggestions as to what and how many i can end up with would be appreciated.

A bit more info would be really helpful. As mentioned an idea of what you like and if it's long or tall. Also what do you have for filtration?

Some good beginner fish that would be great for a 20 gallon off the top of my head are guppies and platy. Most tetras are good for a 20, some popular ones are neons, cardinals, rummy nose, silver tip and emperor. Rasboras like harliquin, lambchop and axelrod. You have some options with Danios, zebra are very popular, as well as turquoise. Most of these are schooling fish and will need to be kept in groups of 6 or so but it's a place to start looking to see what you do and don't like. I'm not 100% but I also think that these are all fish that would be a great match for shrimp.

Hi and welcome! Just double-checking: how was the tank cycled? If you just let it run without adding an ammonia source it isn't cycled I'm afraid.

A 20 gal is a decent size. There are some options, too many to name off-hand really. I'd suggest going to local fish stores and write down the names of fish you like and then research (or/and ask here). Just don't let them sell you anything lol

For an example, you could do something like:

A group of 8-10 schooling fish like neon tetra, rummynose tetra, harlequin rasbora, etc (many schooling fish are options here but not all, depending on size)
A group of 6 corys for the bottom, like Panda, dwarf or pymgy
A centerpiece fish like a dwarf or sparkling gourami (don't get the large type of gourami)
Shrimp

As for how many fish, there isn't an exact way to calculate this. The old rule of 1 inch per gallon is antiquated as it doesn't take into account things like fish's activity level.

Here's a guide if you haven't seen it: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I just got through reading about cycling and my definition was wrong. I thought it meant to let everything run for a week. I had no idea about growing bacteria. Seems I have more work to do before i add fish. Is it easier for a first timer to do fish in or fishless? I also have the API Master FW kit on the way. I have been using a Live PH and Amonia moniter that sticks inside the tank but it doesnt show nitrate/ite levels.

20 tall gives you some really nice options.

For cycling it depends really on your preference. They both have there pros and cons. You may have read these articles but if not they will be very helpful. A lot of people feel fish in is a lot of work because you really need to stay on top of your parameters and generally need a fare amount of water changes to get through the process but at the same time a lot feel it's worth it because you don't need to sit and watch an empty tank for weeks. lol

this is one on fish in - Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

fish less - The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

I have a 20 tall and this is my current stock. 5 neon tetra, 5 lambchop rasbora, 4 platy(3 female 1 male) and a sunset dwarf gourami. Some may feel it's a bit over stocked but I'm also running double filtration(2 of the biowheels you have)
I'm getting a 50 gallon down the road and switching some of these fish over to that anyhow but I have no issues with this set up either.

Library girls has a good recommendation of checking out your local store to see what is there. it sucks to see something online and then to find out that this fish you love is going to be hard to find

Thanks. If i put ammonia in the tank wont the filter just remove it? or am i supposed to take the cartridge out of the filter... Also where do you get this ammonia from, i obviously cant just put pine sol in there right.

Thanks. If i put ammonia in the tank wont the filter just remove it? or am i supposed to take the cartridge out of the filter... Also where do you get this ammonia from, i obviously cant just put pine sol in there right.

No the filter won't remove it. Think of it like pouring water through a strainor, it would catch any big particles, like waste or food but if you had ammonia in there it's just going right through. It's the bacteria that grow in the filter through the cycle that will "remove" the ammonia. What it really does is convert it from ammonia, to nitrite and then from nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate is less harmful to fish but doesn't break down so water changes remove it from your water. This is why many people loose fish when they first set up a tank because that bacteria isn't in place yet to convert that ammonia the only other way to remove it is water changes. IT's all better explained in the articles posted.

Ammonia can be picked up at most hardware stores. You want to be sure it's pure ammonia, nothing with other cleaners in it. I believe a popular brand if you like in the states is ACE hardware brand.

Six weeks and i finally got through the cycle! Did a 90% water change to get rid of all the nitrates and did a final test with ammonia. Next day no ammonia. I waited a day and now i have 4 platies (3 females and a male) and 1 mystery snail. My question is about stocking levels. I would like the following but im not sure if it would be too much.

6 Rasbora
4 Platy (already Have)
1 Dwarf Gourami
4 Mollies
1 smail (already have)

Is this too much for my 20 high? Help and suggestions would be appreciated!

This may help, It's from the starter guide. I bought one for my 20H to cycle and it's working well.

If you want to safely add bacteria to your tank to aid in cycling find someone with a healthy established tank and ask them for some of their filter media to place into your filter. If you don’t know of anyone with an established tank, Aquarium Sponge Filters from AngelsPlus sells “active” seeded sponge filters from their Angel Fish tanks which have helped many on this forum with their cycles (both fish-in and fishless). Just ensure that the sponge filter you buy says “active” next to it or else you are just purchasing a plain filter.

Back
Top Bottom