20 gallon remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panda.moanium

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to be changing the substrate on my 20 gallon from gravel to sand. I've done some reading on the best way to do this with the least amount of stress on the fish and loss of bacteria.

Does anyone have any tried and true experience with this? I would really like to not have to recycle or do a mini cycle my tank after.

Panda.moanium said:
I'm going to be changing the substrate on my 20 gallon from gravel to sand. I've done some reading on the best way to do this with the least amount of stress on the fish and loss of bacteria.

Does anyone have any tried and true experience with this? I would really like to not have to recycle or do a mini cycle my tank after.

I did mine about 2 months ago it was a pain

xfactor6699 said:
I did mine about 2 months ago it was a pain

That wasn't quite the "go get em" pep talk I was looking for. Guess I'll just have to up my coffee intake and make the household therapy appointments. *sigh*

I think I just read in a thread someone did it a few pounds at a time over a couple weeks...I know vague...but I tried :)

Joyler said:
I think I just read in a thread someone did it a few pounds at a time over a couple weeks...I know vague...but I tried :)

Bleh... I've heard that. I really don't like the idea of sifting gravel out of my sand for weeks. I'm entirely to impatient for that! I appreciate the thought though. :D

Ya...I'm impatient too...but recently read it so thought id share :)

I have changed substrates it is not that big a deal. Take the fish out, put them in a bucket or cooler. Empty the tank, remove the old substrate, add the new substrate, redecorate the tank. Fill it back up with dechlorinated water at about the same temperature as it was. Re-acclimate the fish back to their newly redecorated digs.

Be sure to keep your filter media wet, block off enough undisturbed time and have everything ready, clean buckets, the new substrate rinsed and ready to roll etc.

rich311k said:
I have changed substrates it is not that big a deal. Take the fish out, put them in a bucket or cooler. Empty the tank, remove the old substrate, add the new substrate, redecorate the tank. Fill it back up with dechlorinated water at about the same temperature as it was. Re-acclimate the fish back to their newly redecorated digs.

Be sure to keep your filter media wet, block off enough undisturbed time and have everything ready, clean buckets, the new substrate rinsed and ready to roll etc.

Was there a mini cycle??

Nope, if the tank is well established the filter should have plenty of BB to prevent a mini cycle. You could always fill a mesh bag or two up with old substrate and leave it in the tank for a while to supplement the filter. If you have a spike, water changes will control it and it should not last long.

rich311k said:

Sounds simple enough when you put it that way.

So when I did one the first time I got a mini cycle then I found a better way here u go.... Go get some pantie hose add some gravel to them from ur tank make sure to keep it wet to keep the bb alive now change everything and then add the pantie hose with gravel to ur tank keep it in for around 10 days then remove u should be good...... When u take the gravel out the filter media has bb in it but not as much as with the gravel this way u are keeping as much bb in while it establishes in ur new set up

Fantastic! I have gravel...but I think id rather have sand too! Just worried about stressing the fish out SOOO much

Joyler said:
Fantastic! I have gravel...but I think id rather have sand too! Just worried about stressing the fish out SOOO much

They get a little stress but they will be ok

Got it done. Took forever, but I love the results. Here's a rough estimate of before and after. It had changed slightly from the beginning. But not a whole lot.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110612_051446.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110612_051446.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 105
  • ForumRunner_20110612_051512.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110612_051512.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 100
Panda.moanium said:
Got it done. Took forever, but I love the results. Here's a rough estimate of before and after. It had changed slightly from the beginning. But not a whole lot.

Looks awesome!! I hope those rocks are stable :) did you silicone them?

in the second pic,the rocks toward the center look like a piano.

Joyler said:
Looks awesome!! I hope those rocks are stable :) did you silicone them?

ya, just aquarium sealant. Its pretty sad, but glueing rocks together has become my new hobby. For some reason it relaxes me.

Panda.moanium said:
ya, just aquarium sealant. Its pretty sad, but glueing rocks together has become my new hobby. For some reason it relaxes me.

Fish geek worthy!! :)

Back
Top Bottom