20 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sure I've driven you all crazy by now cuz I can't make up my mind. Not to mention the people at the lfs that I'm probably driving crazy cuz I am stocking their store! I found a new fish I fell in love with today! Tell me what you think! and how my stock sounds

20 gallon

Definitely
1 dwarf gourami
6/8 cherry barbs
1 red velvet swordtail

New
What I found today was a marbled loach! They are awesome!!!! What do you all think about them for my tank? How many do I need?

stocklist without loaches is perfect... with loaches i don't know. it depends on how big they'll get.

Assuming you mean Botia kubotai, then I do not recommend them for your set-up. They can reach 5 inches, do best in groups, and tend to be very boisterous. They would do better in a larger tank.
Other than that, the stock sounds really good. Cherry barbs are beautiful fish IMO.

Ok guys thanks! I need to pick a bottom feeder and the marble loaches are beautiful! But of course for freshwater also a bit costly. About 19 a piece. I can always wait on those till I get a bigger tank. Just because I was curious I look up the scientific name for them and and this is what it said.

Proper Name: Botia kubotai
The website said 13cm long but I wasn't sure.

Just to be sure if anyone else has any opinions for me that would be great.

Also I've been told yes and no for a bristle Pleco and I have no idea what to do opinions?

I can't seem to find the kuhli loaches anywhere around here.

Bristlenose get large there are smaller plecos out there zebras are beautiful but very pricey I'd recommend going to planetcatfish.com taking a look they are on point with information, and they are extensive. Unfortunately you will be on there for a long time and end up with a lot of choices lol.

for that tank i would vote clown pleco, L-104. they stay about 4 inches and will be an excellent fit for your tank. do remember though... they eat wood and don't eat a lot of algae, so don't expect one to make up for too much light ;)

Dang! I'm trying to find something that will be a good bottom feeder. And other suggestions. I looked into Cory catfish but idk. I liked the albino but I really don't want a school of those.

Murano22s said:
Bristlenose get large there are smaller plecos out there zebras are beautiful but very pricey I'd recommend going to planetcatfish.com taking a look they are on point with information, and they are extensive. Unfortunately you will be on there for a long time and end up with a lot of choices lol.

Thanks for the advice I'm definitely going to check them out. I feel like a crayfish lady already lol.

Awe crap. This site is a little hard for me to figure out. It will have to be one that I look at on my laptop not my phone lol. Thanks for the site though!

They are quite a few cory species and they are pretty fun. They are usually my first recommendation for bottom feeders.
Kuhli loaches are really quite cool too. SA bumble bee cats?
People have differing views about bnp in 20g tanks. Some people think its not enough space, some think its fine. Its up to you.

I like the kuhli loaches myself but it seems no one around here has them. I found marble loaches which I fell in love with but I was told no for my size tank. That kinda bummed me out. I'm going to look into other corys that I can find around here.
I found upside down catfish that were pretty cool but idk

Try adding some Amano shrimp and/or mystery snails. The shrimp won't reproduce and the snails won't go crazy like some other snails. They are fun and help with stray flakes and algae

Try adding some Amano shrimp and/or mystery snails. The shrimp won't reproduce and the snails won't go crazy like some other snails. They are fun and help with stray flakes and algae
I had upside down catfish and I don't recommend them. Your tank would be fine for a few of them, thats not the issue. I just don't recommend them because I literally NEVER saw them during daylight hours unless I turned their caves around toward the glass. They hid constantly. They were the worst hiders I have ever owned so they really weren't very rewarding to keep at all for me. Some people have different experiences with them, but that was mine. I have heard of lots of other people having the same experience with them too. I like my corys much better personally. Of course, thats up to you.
Nerite snails are another option if you like snails. They don't breed in fw so they can't over-populate. Mystery snails work too though. They need a male and female to breed and then they lay eggs above the water line so the eggs are easy to remove if you don't want them. :)

Ok so I'm gonna stay away from the upside down catfish. I want to be able to see my fish! Thanks for that! I liked the albino corys but my boyfriend thought they were gross lol. The emerald green ones were just plane to me. I was reading around on here and someone had some panda catfish that they had pictures of and they were pretty. I may see if I can find those. I'm so limited around here becides pretty much petco or petsmart. Ugh!

Question I was thinking of.

1 dawarf gourami
1 red velvet swordtail
1 marigold swordtail
6-8 cherry barbs
3 Cory's.

Would this work?
Idk what kind of Cory yet but I'm looking into it.

IMO, yes that would work. Make sure you keep up on the pwc because that is a fair amount of stock but I think it will be fine and attractive. :)

Yay! I will definitely keep up on the water changes! I think I've finally figured out what I want! Just gotta pick the kind of Cory's

Back
Top Bottom