20 gallon tank suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannon02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What fish would work well together in a community? No Bettas or goldfish please.

Here are a few good mixes for beginner 20 gal tanks:
4 Platies
7 Zebra Danios
3 Cherry Barbs
4 Cory Cats

If you like tetras:
4 lemon tetras
5 Bloodfins
6 glowlights
5 serpae tetras

or a nice centerpiece fish for a 20 gal
Dwarf gourami pair
8 white clouds
5 gold barbs
5 cherry barbs
2 yoyo loaches

4 Platies
7 Zebra Danios
3 Cherry Barbs
4 Cory Cats

If you like tetras:
4 lemon tetras
5 Bloodfins
6 glowlights
5 serpae tetras

Dwarf gourami pair
8 white clouds
5 gold barbs
5 cherry barbs
2 yoyo loaches

I would say that's a little much, but that's just my opinion.

I took those from David E Boruchowitz so I am pretty sure they are fine.

4 Platies
7 Zebra Danios
3 Cherry Barbs
4 Cory Cats

If you like tetras:
4 lemon tetras
5 Bloodfins
6 glowlights
5 serpae tetras

Dwarf gourami pair
8 white clouds
5 gold barbs
5 cherry barbs
2 yoyo loaches

My cherry barbs became far more active when I bumped their numbers up from 3 to 6! Just sayin :)

No yoyo loaches in a 20g, even a 20 long, and they do best in a shoaling group. Cory's do great in a 20gL though

Oh do they really? I actually asked someone and they said they wouldn't recommend them. How do they do with other fish? In a community for example?

I have 3 Cory's in a 20 gallon long and they love it! They live with a mystery snail, 2 plattys, 2 mollies and 2 swordtails and nobody ever picks on each other :) plus they keep my gravel clean between my weekly vacuum/water change

I would go with 9 lambchop rasboras, Trigonostigma espei, 1 dwarf gourami and 5 dwarf chain loaches, Ambastaia sidthimunki.

David

I have several Cory's in my 20 long, 3 panda corys and 5 smaller Cory's I can't remember their name now, but they're great fish and are well suited for that size tank. They're are much larger Cory's though, the ones that get to 4" probably shouldn't be in a 20, but there are many types of Cory's that stay 2 to 3"

Oh okay! I'll definitely get some Cory's then! Not sure about the loaches though. And I have a feeling that I'd get fish that aren't known to pick on each other, but they probably would, lol.

Great choice with Cory's! I have 5 emerald Cory's and they are my favorite fish. They are so active and great to watch

Oh good, since this is my first tank I was hoping for some pretty active fish. How would they do with some neon tetras?

Back
Top Bottom