20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luminations94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I’ve been into fish keeping for a few years now. And now I have a tropical tank with one native fish and they seem to get along quite well. Unfortunately the native one is sick and I for some reason can’t post on the sick fish forum

It’s an Orange Spotted Sunfish from a lake in Oklahoma. I’ve had him since October and signs of illness are barely coming up.

And for some reason I can’t post pics either. It’s like my keyboard is blocking the option. Because once I reply, then I seen the “attachment” icon

He seems to have some flesh near his tail exposed and Idk what caused it. He does have two, black mollies, female sword Mollie, and four Madagascar rainbow fish as his tank mates. He’s bigger than all of them and they never bother him.

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s territorial but he never harms them either. His eyes also seem to be bulging out just a little bit. It’s NOT bad, but after having home for this amount of time, it’s noticeable. Not sure if it’s normal as he grows.

What are the tank parameters?

What is the temp?

I would do a couple of pwc's. To dilute what is in there.

If you do not know what the parameters are then you are at a big disadvantage, as are we, to possibly help solve the problem.

What are the tank parameters?

What is the temp?

I would do a couple of pwc's. To dilute what is in there.

If you do not know what the parameters are then you are at a big disadvantage, as are we, to possibly help solve the problem.

The only thing I know is that the water temperature which is at 77 degrees. I do a 20% water change every week.

I would do a couple more pwc's during the week, and larger % maybe 50%. Reason being your fish is getting bigger now eating more pooping more...

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle?

Edit: Oh meant also to say you will likely need a bigger tank for the Sunfish too.

Last edited:
I would do a couple more pwc's during the week, and larger % maybe 50%. Reason being your fish is getting bigger now eating more pooping more...

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle?

Oh yes. The tank was cycled before I caught him.

To me in the pic it seems it protrudes, not scraped into the flesh??? Is it like a scrape or a growth?

Could have been scraped between a stone and the fish making a quick dart for cover...

To me in the pic it seems it protrudes, not scraped into the flesh??? Is it like a scrape or a growth?

Could have been scraped between a stone and the fish making a quick dart for cover...

I just did some reading and fish tuberculosis seems like an intense illness. I really hope this is not what it is. I have no idea how this happened.

Back
Top Bottom