200 gallon reef plan/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeahitstrue

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, somwhere in the far future (atleast a year), I'm going to be setting up a much larger tank than my current 75 G display, and I'm planning on a 200G biotope. I have a few questions for you! First off, I'm torn between Biotopes, either a red sea reef or a hawaiian Reef, which one would you do, and for what cool fish or corals?

Secondly, Whats the best tank type for one this big? (Standard, Bow, square, breeder... etc., etc.)

Thirdly, cheap tanks! I don't mind going all out on the equipment, but I don't want to pay too buch for the glass.

Fourth, assuming that I'm going to use partially base rock and partially live rock, how much would be best to split for good biodiversity?

Same question for sand.

Fifth, any cool Ideas you've seen in general and suggestions on how to cut cost without cutting corners.

Sixth, any cool DIY prejects that arent very difficult dto do? (I'm not good with my hands at all, so if it's not basic I can't do it"

in a 200g you could practically house whatever type of fsh you want, as far as corals it goes as far as your lighting systems will carry you. breeder tanks are generally longer and shorter, and it really boils down to what you like better. breeders are easier to light, clean and aquascape since they are longer and shallower

go with 25% LR and 75% base

you can do a DIY sump, there are also DIY skimmer plans, reactor plans. really everythign you need there is a DIY for them its just how handy are you and how much work do you want to do yourself

they don't make a 200 gallon "breeder" tank. i would choose a tank with flat panes- no bows because the bent glass distorts your view, and no square, if you want to keep tangs. a basic rectangle would be ideal.
i would use 100% dry rock. this will greatly limit the amount of bad hitch hikers that are introduced into the system. any good critters you feel you need can be added manually. there is nothing on ocean rock that you need in order to keep a healthy reef. the same goes for the sand.
i would look for quality used equipment to save money, especially if you are not handy.
most corals aren't allowed to be harvested from hawaii, so i would choose to do an indo reef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom