20G High: Cardinal Tetras and __________?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 Gallon (high) tank (fake plants and real driftwood) that I moved from my home to my office. Miraculously, it appears my small school of 4 year old Cardinal Tetras all survived the move. One was touch and go and resting on the bottom, but has since rejoined the school. Anyhow, I was looking for a "centerpiece" fish to complement them (I love Cardinals!), or at least a smaller school of different shape/color, but complementing fish (bleeding heart tetras?) that are seen midwater by people coming into my office.

I think a few Silver Dollars would be cool, but of course that's not a school, and they're too big for a 20 anyhow.

A pair of Angels would be my second choice, but the size of the tank would likely be a problem again.

Blue Rams sound a little too difficult for an office aquarium. Bolivian Rams... maybe?

Gouramis don't do it for me. Love the opalines, but the tank is too small. The dwarfs just don't have the look that I want, though I've kept them in the past. Would also prefer something that didn't hang around at the top that's hard to see.

Serpae Tetras are cool for coloration, but I've never seen non-aggressive ones.

Just found "Discus Tetras" Brachychalcinus orbicularis on the web... maybe an alternative to the Silver Dollars? Big body, silver so as to not detract from the Cardinals, but offer a complementing look.

What am I missing? Are the Bleeding Hearts or Discus Tetras the answer?

In a tank that size, you could double your cardinals or more....

A couple of male swordtails might be a tougher than normal centerpiece. I just got a neon blue variety that looks great with my neon tetras.

One of my favorites would be the good old Black Tetra. They attain a nice size for a 20G, and usually stay in sight.

With a 20 g tall, I just want to raise the possibility of three additional options:

1. Doing three groups of tetras very comparable in size & appearance, too: adding in 5 neons and 5 black neons.

2. Just going for broke and getting 10 or more additional cardinals for a very cool species tank.

3. Using a bristlenose pleco as your showcase fish--it would be a very interesting addition for workplace tank.

Did I misread how many cardinals you have? They are four years old--not four in total?

I'm down to 7 from the original 12, but yes, they are 4 years old! I have a bristlenose, but you never see him unless you look for him as he spends his day on the driftwood (and blends very well) and the nights on the glass.

What about rasboras there cool they hang around the top more than normal but they also are very active and will go to lower portions of your tank. Oh and what about some Glo Light Danios they look cool and are just like your tetras. all but there color.

I like the idea of the bleeding hearts. Gold or albino pristella tetras would also be striking. They are a little larger than the neons but look like white lace in the tank.

Mike, this is a better pic. not mine, but exactly what mine look like

P_furcatus_GS.jpg

Neilanh-

Aren't they also known as the Forktail Rainbowfish?

I just saw a couple of these in a store and they were fantastic. Of course, not for sale, as the employee claimed they were 'very rare.'

yes, aka Forktails and aka Forktail Blue-Eyes, all the same fish.

They're definately not something you see in most LFSs, especially not the big chains. I found and ordered mine off of aquabid.

Yeah they are really cool. It's ironic you brought them up since I just saw them for the first time recently myself. I have never heard of aquabid...is it aquabid.com?

In terms of this thread, another cool fish that I have never owned but someone recommended to me is the Galaxy Rasbora. Google it, it is very cool.

yeah the galaxy rasbora is a cool fish. And just for your info if you ever see any one that says CPD's thats what they mean. they are prettyy fish and stay really small most of them growing to about 1"

I can't say why, but in the end I went with Black Phantoms. I was in Chicago and got to go to a couple larger stores and Living Seas had a beautiful school of Black Phantoms for sale. I also bought a Clown Pleco to replace my dearly departed bushy nose. I'd never seen one in person in this area. Very cool!

Back
Top Bottom