20g Long Tank Build/Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

I am going to get a 20g Long and i defiantly want apistogramma cacatuoides double red. My Filter will be a AC 200 and i will have an Fluval 100 watt heater. Here's my current stocking list.

• 1 pair of doube red's
  • 5 x neon tetras
  • 5 x otocinclus catfish
  • 5 x serpae tetra (maybe if it is possible without overstocking)

Is this a good list, am i overstocked?

I think that stocking list would be good. The only thing is I might decrease the Otos to 3-4, atleast until you get some algae in the tank and need more (and have food for them). Also you could up the tetras to 7 for each school and still be ok. The more the merrier!

How many watts do I need to have med-high light?

What medium-high light plants would be good?

Rich and rookie, say WHAT? LOL! :lol:

The hood I want has 1 long tube bulb. The bulb runs from side to side. That is all I know. Can u explain T5, T4, HO, and NO to me?

Not familiar with T4 bulbs.. but the 'T' is the bulb diameter in 1/8ths inch. So a T8 is 1", a T5 is 5/8". NO is normal output, HO is high output, VHO is very high output.

mfdrookie516 said:
Not familiar with T4 bulbs.. but the 'T' is the bulb diameter in 1/8ths inch. So a T8 is 1", a T5 is 5/8". NO is normal output, HO is high output, VHO is very high output.

Ok thanks. So I would need a T what HO correct?

T-5 HO like the ones in that fixture I linked. You will need to buy a new fixture you cant just get a bulb.

rich311k said:
You will need to buy a new fixture you cant just get a bulb.

Say What! The bulbs can't be changed? I can't get a bulb from Lowes or Home Depot and use it? Explain please.

If you search this forum in particular, I'll bet 1 in 4 threads deals with lighting. I'd suggest searching to get a better idea.

You can't put a new bulb in and get more wattage. If you want medium-high light, a new fixture is a must.

mfdrookie516 said:
If you search this forum in particular, I'll bet 1 in 4 threads deals with lighting. I'd suggest searching to get a better idea.

You can't put a new bulb in and get more wattage. If you want medium-high light, a new fixture is a must.

Ok so the hoods are T5HO and that stuff?

If you are wanting like a full hood that comes with tanks, you will not have medium or high light. You will have low light because the bulb is probably 20 watts. If you want medium or medium-high light you will want a new fixture. I also suggest a 2x24watt (total of 48 watts) T5 HO fixture like Jonathan suggested. That will put you at medium light but not enough that you will have to get co2.

Light fixtures come in many different types...T5, T8, T12, T5 HO, compact fluorescent, LEDs, etc....

Alot of people prefer T5 HO as they have alot of watt output and par and aren't terribly expensive.

Ok now i understand. I need a full hood because I have a cat and it's a little crazy thing. So can you give me a Link to a full hood that has the highest wattage without CO2?

I have been looking on google and there is nothing in my price limit or it's not a full hood. :(

You can also look at Retro fit lighting which uses the standard hood, but installs current t5 or power compact technology. Basically would disassemble your current electronics and fixture and replaces it with plant lighting. Most online aquatic retailers sell retrofit kits and it's a little cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom