25 gallon cichlid stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codygregg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just recently got a second 25gal tank and already have a 25gal tropical tank, so I was thinking about cichlids this time around. I researched on different sites and some said that you can put African cichlids in a 25gal and some said it's too small. Any thoughts? I think some rams would work? Any suggestions on a good stock would be greatly appreciated.

There are some African cichlids you could include such as dwarf cichlids. As you mentioned rams are dwarf cichlids are would swim happily in a 25g.

Another dwarf would b kribensis, one of my favorites and much easier to care than rams. Though I have to admit that rams are much prettier.

I just recently got a second 25gal tank and already have a 25gal tropical tank, so I was thinking about cichlids this time around. I researched on different sites and some said that you can put African cichlids in a 25gal and some said it's too small. Any thoughts? I think some rams would work? Any suggestions on a good stock would be greatly appreciated.

I would stick with a species of ram. I'm not really sure on africans in a 25, but I'm leaning towards 'no'.

This might be a stupid question but can you mix rams? Like German blue rams and Bolivian rams or any others? And how many could you put in a 25gal tank?

I would only go with 1 type of ram. Remember, German blues are sensitive, so they should be added to established tanks only. I have a pair of bolivians in my 29 gallon.

Here's my stock list for my 29 tall:
2 Bolivian rams
3 sterbial Cory cats
4 kuhli loaches
1 clown pleco
5 blackskirt tetras
5 harlequin Rasboras
4 neons
Ghost shrimp.

It's a pretty rocking tank but peaceful. Many live plants, terra cotta flower pots and drift wood.

So if I did go with 2 bolivian rams, what could I add with them in a 25gal? Like what would be a complete stock? Just thinking off the top of my head i'm thinking 2 bolivian rams, some type of bottom dweller like catfish, and maybe some tetra or neons?

So if I did go with 2 bolivian rams, what could I add with them in a 25gal? Like what would be a complete stock? Just thinking off the top of my head i'm thinking 2 bolivian rams, some type of bottom dweller like catfish, and maybe some tetra or neons?

Depends on the foot print of the tank. (length & width) you could do: 2 rams, 3-4 Cory cats and a group of Rasboras of some sort. That way, you'd have activity at all levels. Be sore to have a lot of breakup points for the rams so they both can set up different territories. I have a m/f pair. They kind of stay out of each others way, but the odd chase is expected.

Depends on the foot print of the tank. (length & width) you could do: 2 rams, 3-4 Cory cats and a group of Rasboras of some sort. That way, you'd have activity at all levels. Be sore to have a lot of breakup points for the rams so they both can set up different territories. I have a m/f pair. They kind of stay out of each others way, but the odd chase is expected.

It's 24in x 12in

Back
Top Bottom