29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You’ve had a snailsplosion! Post an ad for them. Some hungry fish or sand bed could use them.
My current plan is to take them to the fish nerd place.

While I was hunting them, I came across a black chunk under the substrate. It sent thick, billowing, black dust out. It took me a while to realize that where I had planted one of the ozelot plants, whose leaves and stem were promptly eaten.

I'm going to do another round of hunting. So. Many. Snails.

I do wish I could see the kuhlis more often. I mean, I see them hanging their heads out from the leaves or whatever, but they are so neat to watch.

Do you have a dimmer for your lights? Mine come out in the evening when I feed and the lights are like presunset.

Do you have a dimmer for your lights? Mine come out in the evening when I feed and the lights are like presunset.
Our lights are the dual channel LEDs, so you can't use external timers for anything other than on and off. Dimming has to be done manually, and I pretty much just don't do that often.

I really notice a difference in the fishes behavior on the 24/7 cycle as opposed the full on or off. Even with a 15 minute ramp up/down it’s not the same. Maybe that’s why I see my Khuli’s. I am usually watching at dawn and dusk lighting.

Over the past couple weeks, we've lost four of our ten rainbows. Two have happened over the past three days. There are no bodies. I have torn things apart- no bodies, no skeletons.

At first I thought I had sucked one up while doing water changes. I feel awful and was a lot more careful.

Sunday we had eight. Monday we had seven. Today we have six.

While I was moving stuff around dreading touching a rotting body, I spooked the kuhlis. My big, fat, roly-poly kuhlis.

In the interest in maintaining the population of my beautiful, wild caught rainbows- what's my new kuhli feeding strategy?

I have never seen a Kuhli snack on anything that wasn’t already deceased. I would never suspect them as assassins for your rainbows. But perhaps they have me fooled.

I have never seen a Kuhli snack on anything that wasn’t already deceased. I would never suspect them as assassins for your rainbows. But perhaps they have me fooled.
Yours also don't eat your little mystery snails.

Research I've done elsewhere in some places says they are only scavengers and other places says they'll eat other fish.

I could be wrong. Maybe the rainbows are dying from something else and then being eaten. We lost a guppy a few months ago, and I didn't find the body for a couple of days, so I don't know.

I’ve seen the yoyo loaches snack on dead bodies (try to remove them but they are quick), they leave any sick fish alone though.

I think what really made me think it might be them is that one is about the size of my finger, and I don't feed enough to explain that much growth. I think I might have been underfeeding trying to reduce ramshorns but instead made the kuhlis a bit too hungry to scavenge. I feed one cube of frozen food per day, and I'm realizing now that it's not enough. But that fish is huge.

Ah, well I must admit my loaches are about the laziest there is. Snails from plants from shops run over them for several weeks before they get motivated by my impassioned speeches and finger pointing.

I moved the orange flame shrimp into this tank, because it and the blue dream seemed miserable in the unheated bowl. They didn't do anything. The blue dream was not dead, but it was also not very alive. I put it in with the rams, and it never hit the substrate. The orange flame is still kicking, though. I'm pretty surprised, although not unpleasantly.

Back
Top Bottom