29-34 Gallon Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

figliaperduta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm new here, and I'm planning on setting up a 29-34 gallon aquarium (depends on which tank I can get at the better price). Here is my intended stocking scheme...

2-3 angelfish (looking at Koi angels)
3 swordtails (one male, two females)
3 Cory cats
1 Ancistrus cat

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Size of heater, type/brand of filter, special accesories that any of these fish prefer? I know the bristlenose like to have a piece of wood, for example. Anything else?

Also, anyone have any 'first plant' recommendations to go with this setup, or are these more likely to just eat the plants and I should go with fakes?

In addition, I have a 2.5 gallon filtered tank (20GPH) with one male betta in it. He's an aggressive little thing, attacking everything from the aquarium glass (his reflection) to the filter, to the substrate, to his decorations, to me. Let me tell you, it's interesting to be body-slammed by a two-inch fish. I'm worried that he may overexert himself. Does anyone have any recs on how to calm him down?

put in an oscar that will calm him down.

lol jk dont do that put him in the 100g with the oscar. lol

some bettas are just mean

I would get two more corys, they feel better in a group of at least 5.

The heater wattage should be 5 times the gallons of water in the tank, so a 150W should be fine. I would get a visitherm stealth, heard only good things about it, or a hagen, but not the cheapest ones. It is always good to have a heater, that shutts off if not fully submerged, so it won't break when in the air. Or you'll always have to remember to switch it off before you do pwc.

Hagen or Eheim are the best filters. And if you get a canister filter, it'll be better for your plants plus you'll have more filter volume for the bacteria to sit on.

As for first time plants, I would recommend to look at this link. They have many low light plants that are not too demanding. Plus you will be able to know the size (where to place them) and see pictures to decide if you like the looks:
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2

Many anubis, echinodorus, java fern,... are good beginner plants.

Would the tank be able to handle the bioload with 5 Cories?

Also, I've looked at prices on canister filters. Ouch! I'm probably going to go with external power. Any rec's on those?

Angels: 12" for a pair, 3 swordtails:12", Anchistrus hoplygenus (a smaller variety): 3", 3 Cory cats: about 15" for the bigger ones or 10" for the smaller ones

= 37" to 42"

So if you get a smaller ancistrus (I don't know what you had in mind) and some smaller corys they should be fine. I'd like to stock small as well, but then I would drop another fish species, to get enough corys. But that is up to you, I just mentioned they will feel better in a group of at least 5.

Something else to think about, 1 male and 2 female swords mean that eventually your going to have a LOT more swordtails. Mine drop about 20-30 at a pop and most survive. It gets crowded and messy pretty quick. Maybe drop the swordtails and up it to 5 cory's?

Those fish should get along just fine. And while you are stretching your bioload a bit, you should be okay. ...until the swordtails breed.

For a tank that size, a HOB should be just fine. Penguin and Emperor makes good ones, I'm told. (I have a Whisper that came with my tank kit. Lots of people hate them, but few that own them seem to have ever had problems)

Back
Top Bottom