29 bowfront from goldfish to my pride and joy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm thinking of rescaling
The Betta has tattered fins and it looks self induced from squeezing into places
My plan is to take the current scape and set it up in the 38 gallon.....then look for natural, Betta safe material to set up some caves and plant it. I also need to figure out which fish I can house in there with him

He was fine with neon tetras, just ignores them but I will be getting a new heater and neons don't like it over 78....my old heater kept it at 77

So I need something with a higher temperature range to go in at 80-83....without fancy fins

This is my current scape
IMG_0352.JPG

This is our cool mr Betta, in his salt bath for healing Image1484110186.926046.jpg

This last summer, my tank hit 81-82 for days on end: the neons seemed to do just fine, though perhaps they were stressed and I just didn't notice it. I'm no saying it would definitely work: just offering a data point.

As for new companions for the betta, both cardinals and rummynoses like the higher temps. I'm not sure how they'd get along with the betta, though.

Are they nippy fish? As long as they ignore the Betta, he ignores them:)

I have a 38gallon ready to hold the neons as well as my wcmm. It's currently wintering goldfish while cycling

So I'm thinking of rescaling
The Betta has tattered fins and it looks self induced from squeezing into places
My plan is to take the current scape and set it up in the 38 gallon.....then look for natural, Betta safe material to set up some caves and plant it. I also need to figure out which fish I can house in there with him

He was fine with neon tetras, just ignores them but I will be getting a new heater and neons don't like it over 78....my old heater kept it at 77

So I need something with a higher temperature range to go in at 80-83....without fancy fins

This is my current scape
View attachment 293123

This is our cool mr Betta, in his salt bath for healing View attachment 293124

I really love your current scape. I received a Betta for Christmas, apparently I am hard to shop for and a fish was the first thing that came to mind, and in the little time I have had with him I adore him so good luck with Mr. Betta healing up.

Anyways, from what research I have been doing for a larger tank for my betta + some potential tankmates for me to enjoy I think I came across most of the suggestions you have on the first page of this thread. I'm pretty sure you are looking for a mid-level fish though so the first thing that came to my mind that hasn't been said yet would have to be the Blind Cave Fish. I had a fair sized school of them a while back and I have to say they were surprisingly entertaining fish. They are unlikely to cause problems and are a fairly peaceful fish. They are fast enough that if your Betta tries to cause a problem, the BCF will just outswim him. That and no fancy fins or colours to set off your Betta.

Thanks, I was fond of this scape too, but I really loved having the Betta in the 29, as opposed to a ten in my bedroom. I actually have a chair by my tank, where I relax while the others watch tv lol

I figure it will take a few months to come up with a plan I really like again but to watch him shimmering, it's worth it:)

I started with a couple of glass caves....will move out from thereImage1484190828.429215.jpgof course the pagoda will have to go, I only put it in so the neons can hide....they seem to like the cavesImage1484190952.686312.jpg

My next step is a better heater, then plants and wood

Thanks for the fish tip I'll look for some. I was also considering platies ....my lfs keeps Betta with them

One piece at a time lol

I want to get some shrimp in there but need some more cover first.....was thinking last night that if I get some java moss, it will grow in the mesh of the cave that I built and hide it for me, whilst providing cover for shrimp

Right now it's buried in rocks and sand but you can still see the meshImage1485437550.309219.jpg

I always liked your tank. Us jungle people have to stick together against the formal guys and gals.

I want a planted tank, but not that traditional dense planting that hides the fish...I like open spaces

So I've been splitting bunches as I buy them for more of a loose woodsy effect

The Betta loves it, he weaves amongst the stalks Image1485445411.356668.jpgImage1485445575.804264.jpg

Update

The ludwiga didn't make it, not enough lighting

I'm trying moneywort now. Got a big sword too. Lost some fish to......something, I don't know ?*♀️ but I think I will put one in a cup and take it over to lfs for a diagnosis
Image1487479120.744851.jpgdown to 3wcmm,4neon and still no answers....only small fish affected

Sorry to hear that.
Ludwigia dies on me all the time, only one I could get to grow is Ludwigia Repens x L. Arcuata, beautiful plant and grew great for me.

Spent yesterday making coconut huts

Now to build up the woodsy area behind for the island experience
lolImage1487614088.730276.jpgImage1487614217.724765.jpgImage1487614287.960758.jpg
I might sprinkle some orange stones on the "fire" as coal, for effect

Nice one Barliman!

Good pics of that Betta! And he loves his new hut. Just don't forget to stir up the sand under the hut as it will go black/anaerobic. (I use a chop stick, for that kind of thing and lots of other stuff :) )

Thanks for the tip:)

I usually pick up decorations and gravel vac, as I have had ammonia problems in the past, but I will definitely keep it in mind for when I don't....I have a chopstick for when I make the pleco veggie kabobs

I love that pool filter sand doesn't compact the way normal sand would, so I can shove my vac in. There and drop the sand as I did gravel

Was so excited today

I went for more plants and big Als finally had ghost shrimp in. I have been waiting like a month to find some not at petsmart:)

Also got wisteria and Anubis

And when I was at the mall before that I saw a pretty terrarium that I can use to bring my sword babies up to the light, and make the Betta a floating cave

Super day!Image1488240680.292135.jpgImage1488240784.110223.jpgImage1488240862.425334.jpgImage1488240942.296474.jpg

Back
Top Bottom