29 gal stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjrnc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal I've been running with rams and some other fish for almost a year now. I'm looking to do a complete escape and restock on the tank and just looking for input for some really cool and intresting fish for a 29. I was thinking of doing some type of pike cichlid tank but they seem to get too large and I domt want anything like gouramis or tetras or anything like that. I am looking into some true oddball fish for a 29 gal tank. I am open to doing species only so any input would be great.

I am really enjoying my American flag fish. IMG_4618.jpg. I have 6 and they are very smart fish.

I am really enjoying my American flag fish. View attachment 312830. I have 6 and they are very smart fish.
I have a few now they are pretty cool but not what I am looking for. Had an idea and went on aquaadvisor and jus plugged my tank and equipment in and I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of this. (The photo list is stocking). It is giving some warning about the leaf fish becoming aggressive when breeding but they will take me the longest to get and will be the last thing I get most likely. Screenshot_20190502-221540_Chrome.jpg

This stock kind of gives the idea of the type of fish I am looking for.

You remind me of my husband...ask me a question, but you have already know what your gonna do. Lol.

Lol. These are just some ideas how oddball I want to go. I am 16 so these fish will be near impossible to get and purchase unless I find a place online with all of them or my lfs somehow gets them.

Lol. These are just some ideas how oddball I want to go. I am 16 so these fish will be near impossible to get and purchase unless I find a place online with all of them or my lfs somehow gets them.
You remind me of my husband...ask me a question, but you have already know what your gonna do. Lol.

Good luck finding the gobies, I've been looking for years and have only found like two places that had them, but both had stopped selling fish already :/

not so much oddball but i say killifish. great variety in color and length of life. other oddball fish i recommend is puffer fish, banjo catfish(can be a boring fish though), leaf fish, african butterfly fish, gudgeons.

Good luck finding the gobies, I've been looking for years and have only found like two places that had them, but both had stopped selling fish already :/
That sucks. I have 2 species of these gobies already. I have the leavalli and the changtinensis rhinogobius. I also have the neon blue stiphodon gobies. My leavalli are breeding and I'm just trying to set up the right environment in a separate tank to actually hatch the eggs and raise them.

I highly considered the killifish. Short lifespan kind of kills it though unless I got a breeding population. I already have some colomeseus asellus puffers and am gonna get a tank for a ret tail red eye puffer set up soon here. I have owned the butterfly fish and they are sick fish but he somehow jumped out of my tank even with a tight fitted glass lid on but idk. I am highly considering the south American leaf fish. Super cool looking.

not so much oddball but i say killifish. great variety in color and length of life. other oddball fish i recommend is puffer fish, banjo catfish(can be a boring fish though), leaf fish, african butterfly fish, gudgeons.
I highly considered the killifish. Short lifespan kind of kills it though unless I got a breeding population.

there are some breeds of killi that live for 4-5 years. not all killi are annuals.
Yeah. I have heard that. I haven't been able to find any I really like that aren't annuals. Haven't looked to much into it though. Any species recommendations?

Yeah. I have heard that. I haven't been able to find any I really like that aren't annuals. Haven't looked to much into it though. Any species recommendations?

im sure you could find something in this list no? :D

i think the Aphyosemion australe Orange is just gorgeous.

site i pulled it from with pics https://killifish.weebly.com/non-annual-plant-spawners.html

Aphyosemion australe Orange, Aphanius mento, Aphyosemion australe natural (Lyretail), Aphyosemion Celiae Winfredae, Aphyosemion Cognatum N'galiema, Aphyosemion Cognatum, Aphyosemion decorsei Kapou RCA 91-1, Aphyosemion Elberti N'tui, Aphyosemion Hera, Aphyosemion exiguum Zouatopsi F1, Aphyosemion Elberti N'tui Ngorro Road, Aphyosemion ogoense GHP 80-23,
Chromaphyosemion bivittatum, Aphyosemion ogoense GHP 80-24, Aphyosemion pyrophore Komono Yellow, Aphyosemion pyrophore Otto Gardneri, Aphyosemion shioetzi Z91-1, Chromaphyosemion Alpha Cap Santa Clara DNA 01, Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode,
Chromaphyosemion LOE Makondo, Diapteron georgiae LEC 93-2, Lamprichthys Tanganicanus, Epiplatys Fasciolatus Zimiensis SL89, Fundulopanchax fallax, Fundulopanchax gresensi Takwai, Fundulopanchax Filamentosus Ikeja, Fundulopanchax gardneri N’sukka,
Fundulopanchax gardneri Nigerianum, and Fundulopanchax Scheeli

Last edited:
im sure you could find something in this list no? :D

i think the Aphyosemion australe Orange is just gorgeous.

site i pulled it from with pics https://killifish.weebly.com/non-annual-plant-spawners.html

Aphyosemion australe Orange, Aphanius mento, Aphyosemion australe natural (Lyretail), Aphyosemion Celiae Winfredae, Aphyosemion Cognatum N'galiema, Aphyosemion Cognatum, Aphyosemion decorsei Kapou RCA 91-1, Aphyosemion Elberti N'tui, Aphyosemion Hera, Aphyosemion exiguum Zouatopsi F1, Aphyosemion Elberti N'tui Ngorro Road, Aphyosemion ogoense GHP 80-23,
Chromaphyosemion bivittatum, Aphyosemion ogoense GHP 80-24, Aphyosemion pyrophore Komono Yellow, Aphyosemion pyrophore Otto Gardneri, Aphyosemion shioetzi Z91-1, Chromaphyosemion Alpha Cap Santa Clara DNA 01, Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode,
Chromaphyosemion LOE Makondo, Diapteron georgiae LEC 93-2, Lamprichthys Tanganicanus, Epiplatys Fasciolatus Zimiensis SL89, Fundulopanchax fallax, Fundulopanchax gresensi Takwai, Fundulopanchax Filamentosus Ikeja, Fundulopanchax gardneri N’sukka,
Fundulopanchax gardneri Nigerianum, and Fundulopanchax Scheeli
Sheesh [emoji23][emoji23]I guess I have some reading to do now. Thanks for the recommendations. I have thought about killi fish bc they have almost a airipima look about them. Very cool fish just have to find a species I like. Will for sure be looking through this list. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom