29 gal with a hob no sump or a bio cube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deckaman225

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wat should I do it's my first SW tank should I go ahead and fix my 29 gal up for SW or just get a biocube for my first tank I think I would be happier with my 29 but have no idea wat the whole SW tank takes to run Any advice??

Either tank would be a good choice for a starter system. The biocube will have the lighting and filtration though already built in which is a plus. The stock lighting on the cibe can let you keep softie corals as well as most LPS corals.
I have run both a reg 29g and the 29g biocube and to be honest, if I was in the market for another one I would get the biocube again. Just makes life easier. lol
With the cube all you would need to add is a heater, with the regular 29g you would have to buy each piece of equipment separately.
As a side note, if you do your regularr water changes on the tank you wouldnt need a skimmer, that can be quite an expensive thing to buy. :)

How often to change filter and water changes how often and how much?

I bought an add on filter basket for my biocube, cost about $50 from intank.com I think is the website and it held filter floss on top, middle part was chemipure and the bottom section had purigen in it. The filter floss was changed every few days, real easy to reach in and swap out the blue filter floss. The other two racks were good for about 4-5 months, if they got covered in icky stuff I would rinse them in old tank water.
I did water changes of about 6g or 10g, every week or two, depending on how the water parameters were ie: nitrates
Pretty easy to do, and quick too. :)

Hey Carey my tank has some sponge thing in the first section bio balls in the second and coral stuff in the third do I use any of that?

The sponge thing, leave it alone. That will keep debris from getting into your return pump. You do have to rinse it out when you do water changes though or nitrates will build up in it.
The bioballs are a big thing, you have to decide if you want to ditch them or keep them. If you get rid of them then I would get something like this

Coralife Biocube 29 Media Basket

The basket will let you run whatever you want in it, carbon, gfo (for phosphates) or other stuff. :)
The bioballs can trap debris and build up nitrates. I used the basket and liked it very much. Its $50 but worth every penny
They also have a fuge basket you can buy at that site too, you can keep macro algae in it and that helps reduce nitrates.
Not sure what you mean by "coral" thing.....the far right compartment I used to keep my heater in. You wont need the filter cartridge either if you go with that rack i just linked.

Ok I want a basket I think but I have no idea wat to get which slot do u put the basket in? I think it's a jbj nano cube twelve it has no brand though

Ok I measured the second box won't fit in it but will in the first

Back
Top Bottom