29 gallon build price,, roughly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really have a budget in mind, I want good quality stuff over time. I'm not even gonna say a budget because I don't have enough knowledge in salt water, to give a budget. There is a good chance I'll be in the wrong ball park, or simply go over.

That being the case, I think Big Tex is about right. However, I still recommend you use a sump with a refugium and protein skimmer instead of a HOB filter. You can add about $175 for an Eshopps nano skimmer. Well worth the money. Plus you will either need to drill your tank or add an overflow box. I highly recommend drilling if you can do so. Here are some pics of our setup with a 25 gallon we set up about 5 weeks ago:

First pic is the sump/refugium with a good wad of algae. Second is the skimmer. This is about 5 days worth of filth on low. Imagine that accuming in your tank. The last pic is the EShopps overflow box.

Attachments

• image-3764057219.jpg
    image-3764057219.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image-4231367780.jpg
    image-4231367780.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3391197033.jpg
    image-3391197033.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 60
Alright, I really don't understand how to do a sump. Do you know of any good links that would completely explain how to do one?

Alright, I really don't understand how to do a sump. Do you know of any good links that would completely explain how to do one?

if you have the stand with the room for it get a sump or a canister, i like the hob route because its simpler and you dont really need to have all the extra equipment plus i have a 3 yr old that likes to explore so its a no for me lol

if you have the stand with the room for it get a sump or a canister, i like the hob route because its simpler and you dont really need to have all the extra equipment plus i have a 3 yr old that likes to explore so its a no for me lol

That sucks ha. Ya I know hobs and canisters well, so they are simple to me. Don't completely understand sumps, and how to make one

That sucks ha. Ya I know hobs and canisters well, so they are simple to me. Don't completely understand sumps, and how to make one

Well, the cool thing about dumps is that there aren't really any hard and fast rules. In fact, one of my buddies just has a great big rubbermade container for a sump. It can be as easy or as difficult as you like. I can tell you what I did, though.

I used a 10 gallon tank and divided it into 3 sections using pieces of acrylic I got at Home Depot. In the 1st section is my skimmer and heater. That's also where my water comes in from the main tank. The second section is live sand and live rock with filtering algae. The 3rd section just had my pump to push water back to the tank. It increases my water volume by about 7 gallons and holds a few pounds of LR, which is your main filtration. Here's a sketch of what I did. Note, the 3 pieces on the right is called a bubble trap. It helps prevent bubbles from being pushed back to your display. Don't be scared to try. This was my 1st attempt at SW AND my. 1st sump, so I'm no expert. Just asked a lot of questions and learned what I could.

Attachments

• image-2931111484.jpg
    image-2931111484.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 52
IMO stick with what you know works, and your good (y) just my $0.02

Agreed, but if your not in a hurry and are interested in really jumping in with both feet, give the sump a try. Either way, I still recommend the Eshopps skimmer. It won't take up much space at all in your display. A couple of good power heads should move the water for you well enough to eliminate your need for the HOB, too. Remember, the live rock is your best filtration media! I didn't believe it at first, but the filtration you're used to in FW just isn't needed if you use the liverock.

Important note: I'm not at all disagreeing with Big Tex. there are a lot of different ways to do SW "right." You should do what's easiest for you so you will enjoy it. Right now, your right where I was several weeks or months ago. I had no idea and was worried about getting outside of my comfort zone. I'm glad I did what I did. The only thing I would change would be drilling the tank rather than using the overflow box.

Also, you can always add a sump or refugium later if you decide you want to. Just make sure the stand you get has room.

Important note: I'm not at all disagreeing with Big Tex. there are a lot of different ways to do SW "right." You should do what's easiest for you so you will enjoy it. Right now, your right where I was several weeks or months ago. I had no idea and was worried about getting outside of my comfort zone. I'm glad I did what I did. The only thing I would change would be drilling the tank rather than using the overflow box.

Also, you can always add a sump or refugium later if you decide you want to. Just make sure the stand you get has room.

agreed, thats a good point, and im not at all telling the OP to go hob, its just what i had around and it works perfect for me, plus i have no idea how a refugium works and i dont want to hijack this thread either so, IMO my hob systems works perfect for what i wanted, and it my first sw tank, now that its stable and i got the hang of the maintenance and all, im very comfortable with trying something new on my 75g build coming up, ill start my own thread for it though lol :facepalm:

p.s. does anyone have maybe a link to a pdf or a site with a step by step on refugiums maybe diagrams, a video maybe? it would help the OP and me out alot lol thanks :D

Ya plus one on the website with a step by step. I can understand what it is, just need to know more. Also where could I get my tank drilled?

Ya plus one on the website with a step by step. I can understand what it is, just need to know more. Also where could I get my tank drilled?

i would search youtube for a video on a refugium how to, but now a days theres a hundred and one people out there posting b.s. videos just trying to get internet famous, i would like a step by step how to, with pics and diagrams, gifs maybe i dont know just an in depth view on them.

i would search youtube for a video on a refugium how to, but now a days theres a hundred and one people out there posting b.s. videos just trying to get internet famous, i would like a step by step how to, with pics and diagrams, gifs maybe i dont know just an in depth view on them.

+1 on this

Go with dry rock much cheaper and you can seed it with a pound of live rock.

A refugium is an area where you can grow macro algae and pods (copepods and amphipods) without worrying about predation. I.E. A refuge. Normally the second section of a sump is the refugium.
Some people put sand in their second section in an attempt at a DSB (deep sand bed) without really knowing what it is supposed to do, or the dangers of a DSB. A DSB is designed to be deep enough that an anaerobic (oxygen free) area of water is created. Normal sand takes at least 6" to create this zone while miracle mud can do it in about 3". In this oxygen free area a type of bacteria called anaerobic bacteria consume nitrate and produce nitrogen gas (78% of our air). Unfortunately they also produce H2S gas, a HIGHLY toxic nerve gas that can kill. In the pulp mill I used to work H2S gas was the biggest threat to our safety and my dad was almost killed by a leak. In the tank, disturbing a DSB (a true DSB, not a 3"deep normal sand bed) can kill everything in the tank. Many people can smell the effects of anaerobic bacteria when tearing down a tank by the disgusting rotten egg smell it gives off. Fortunately, if you can smell it, it is not toxic enough to kill a human (but it can kill fish) because the first thing H2S attacks is the sense of smell (nose nerves).

OK, enough of that, no DSB in the sump. I will attach a pic of my sump. It is a much simpler 2 section sump. I don't know why the norm is to divide the first 2 sections (drain pipes to sump and skimmer section as well as the refugium section). Perhaps people think the skimmer will suck in pods from the refugium, but I never have seen any indication of pods in my skimmer or skimmate.

My first section goes;
drain hoses - reactor pump (reactor is external and not required) - skimmer - chaeto (lit by a 17w CFL bulb 20 hrs/day) - rock rubble to keep chaeto from getting to the return section. That's it. A big section with a bunch of crap thrown in. then the smaller return section, drilled with an external DC Speedwave 2640 gph 6 speed pump. But the pump can just as easily be internal (ok, easier actually).

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 70
Sure death should be an encouragement, lol. I didn't know that about the deep sand bed. I did put a shallow sand bed in the middle section of mine along with some rubble and live rock. Really, the only reason was for a buffer between the rock and glass in case I accidentally dropped something.

There are a lot of ways to do it. You don't even have to divide it if you don't want to. Just some live rock or rubble along with some macro algae in a 10 gallon tank would work.

Back
Top Bottom