29 gallon filtration advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
As some of you may have read, I recently scored a new 29 gallon tank. It comes with a UGF and a Powerhead, but I think I want better filtration than that. Maybe a Fluval 204, or would this create too much current? Seeing the pictures of JChillin's Fluval in action makes me wonder... Any better ideas? This will be a community tank btw.

Any cannister filter IMO gives you more bang for the buck. A fluval 204 is ideal for set up you want. :wink:

or you could look at the Aquarium Pharm. rena line of filters. just another option for you but the xp2 would also work really nice.
If you don't feel like spending the bucks Aquaclear HOBs are a great filter and very affordable too.

I have a Pequin 330 on my 29gal and it works great. Plus only 20 buck to boot :mrgreen:

I would suggest going with an over powerd canister filter. It may help later down the line because many of them, (Fluval and Eheim i think) have compartments in them where you can add any thing you wanted in them. I've heard it said that there is no such thing as too much filtration. Ive also heard it said that you should invest in a good setup with qualitiy equipment now, in anticipation that you may want to try other things.

Congrats on the tank!!! I'm sure the Fluval would be great for you, but if you don't want to spend the $$$ then I would go with an Aquaclear 300. I use one on my 29 gallon tank, and it's very quiet and does a great job. But it you have the funds I would try a canister- I've never use one but a lot of folks here are raving about them. :D

I went on a spending spree this weekend, and bought an aquaclear 300 AND a rena filstar xp2 canister filter.. talk about severe overkill for a 29 gallon tank.. I have them both turned waay down, but i'll tell you one thing, they polished that water like no tomorrow. I second what severum mama said. THe aquaclear 300 (now model 70) is great. It even comes with the ceramic rings, or if you have a not so tight budget, get a rena filstar xp2. If ou search my username, I had a thread in the general FW forum about which canister filter was better, the fluval 304 of the rena filstar xp2. My intentions were to get one of each and give my girlfriend whichever one I didn't want, but the place I got them wouldn't pricemwatch their own website unless I had a printout of it. So needless to say I only bought the rena, till I take the printout back, showing the $60.00 price difference. I love the filstar. Its quiet, tons of media capacity, and quite easy to set up. The aquaclear 70 hob filter is great if you are on a spending budget.
HTH
-Stewie

Ringfinger... I've been running a 29 gal for about 8 yrs now, UGF powere with a reverse flow powerhead and an Emperor HOB for most of that time rather smoothly. However, I've just gotten into real plants so along with changing gravel totally... I also took out my UGF as I've read more and more about how an UGF is "not" ideal for a planted tank. So think about it now... if u seriously want to consider real plants, then don't go with the UGF. Now there are more than a few here that have successful UGF planted tanks, but I'm finding the majority heavily advise against it.

So now all I have is the Emperor HOB w/biowheel and I am also considering a Cannister such as the Eheim 2026. I have the same concerns as you do regarding "too strong" of a flow and current from this cannister. I've heard the Eheim 2026 has an adjustable flow rate.... I just wonder how minimal I can slow it down... perhaps slow enough so flake food can float slowly during feeding??? I also don't want my plants to get blown around.

stewie said:
I went on a spending spree this weekend, and bought an aquaclear 300 AND a rena filstar xp2 canister filter.. talk about severe overkill for a 29 gallon tank.. I have them both turned waay down,

Stewie... can the flowrate of that Rena be turned down enough for flake food to slowly float?? I am sortof on the fence between a Rena and Eheim... Eheim has an edge because of their supposed craftsmanship, reliability and durability. Maybe an XP1 is better for me if I am concerned about a strong flow blowing my plants around.

Just my humble opinion here but I think you're all aver analyzing this. You can position the spray bar on both the eheim and filstar a few inches from the surface and point the outflow diagonally downwards. In this way you avoid too much surface agitation, yet get plenty of circulation. As long as you aren't creating a raging torrent, the water movement is beneficial to both the plants and fish.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom