29 Gallon FW Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeahhh. I also need to get an upgraded filter. I'm running two smaller ones right now. Should be able to get it in a couple days though.

Yep, the AC50 I recommended is a great filter, but if you have a couple running for a while you should be ok. I'd suggest running a couple all the time, that way if you get a new tank or have to set up a QT (doesn't have to be a glass tank BTW), you can instantly cycle a tank in no time.

Yeah I was gonna run one of them with the new one I'm gettin. Ill post my parameters when I do my first test.

Alright so I just picked up the kit. This thing is hi tech. Here are my parameters.

Ammonia-.50 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate- 10 ppm
Ph- 7.6
I find this strange as its supposed to go ammonia-nitrite-nitrate. Why does it seem to be skipping a step? I do have all cycled gravel and seeded gravel in the filters

tarpon said:
Alright so I just picked up the kit. This thing is hi tech. Here are my parameters.

Ammonia-.50 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate- 10 ppm
Ph- 7.6
I find this strange as its supposed to go ammonia-nitrite-nitrate. Why does it seem to be skipping a step? I do have all cycled gravel and seeded gravel in the filters

Seeded material makes a big difference IMO/E, so that could be why. No fish right and how are you dosing your ammo? Chances are the no2 (nitrIte) will show up, so test daily is my recommendation. If no no2 show up, the bacteria may have already been established enough to handle it and your cycle will move along swimmingly (pun intended :p).

Ok that's what I'm doin. And actually I have 3 mosquito fish from my 10 gallon as my ammonia. I know fishless ia recomended but my 10 gallon is already drained

Haha someone else gave me that link too. I just did a water change. These little guys are invincible though. They can survive low oxygen. And salinity twice that of saltwater. And temperatures 32-108 degrees Fahrenheit. For short periods. I was amazed when I learned this.

Haha someone else gave me that link too. I just did a water change. These little guys are invincible though. They can survive low oxygen. And salinity twice that of saltwater. And temperatures 32-108 degrees Fahrenheit. For short periods. I was amazed when I learned this.

Yep, may have been me since I reference that link more than any other, but I couldn't remember lol.

Just keep a close eye on them is my suggestion and here's a couple more links with info that's pertinent to cycling fish in.

Fish Disease - Ammonia Poisoning

Fish Disease - Nitrite Poisoning

Okay thanks. And I know I'm not saying theyre actually invincible I just learned that info recently and i was surprised.
Like....ill treat them like any other fish

gambusia are really hardy fish, I find them regularly in drainage ditches and sometimes even mud puddles.

An even hardier fish is the pygmy sunfish, it is one of the few fish that has adapted to live in anoxic conditions, not that I'd put one through it or anything.

Yeah just bc they can doesn't mean they should. The three little guys have a 30 gallon all to themselves right now haha. Ill probly put them in the pond by my house after my tank is cycled bc they are aggressive. And they are naturally in the pond already. Thats where I got their parents from.

Ok so my ammonia is between. 25 and. 50
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5-10 ppm

Whaat does this mean? Where am I in the cycle and why are there nitrates but not nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom