29 gallon journey/journal/build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
I fed aqueon pellets for a short time when I couldn't get my hands on hikari and the difference was noticeable. 3 out of 12 bettas were bloated after about a week. I think the stuff is no good, personally. It doesn't even look like it was designed with bettas in mind..the pellets are much too large and hard, so if you do feed them, I would definitely soak them in tank water first. I have experimented with many betta foods and have experienced far less bloat and SBD when feeding only Hikari or NLS pellets along with frozen foods. :)

Big? But they're tiny!!! At least it's not flake.

Ok, dosed back up, now ammo is at 2 again. I came back from my lax tournament to find this clearish cloudy algae looking stuff on my driftwood. I got it off, but it was only on my driftwood. Any clue as to what it was?

Driftwood could be leeching still, I believe it kinda looks like the wood is smoking. A white haze raising from the wood.

GoneFishing said:
Driftwood could be leeching still, I believe it kinda looks like the wood is smoking. A white has raising from the wood.

But this stuff wasn't smoke like! It looked like smoke, but when I touched it, it felt more like algae. Slimy, and almost clear.

But this stuff wasn't smoke like! It looked like smoke, but when I touched it, it felt more like algae. Slimy, and almost clear.

Hmm, that's odd. IDK I would still think of possible tannins leaking.. I haven't placed driftwood yet, those bad boys are expensive here! found a perfect one for my 75 gallon, but they want $149 for it!!!

GoneFishing said:
Hmm, that's odd. IDK I would still think of possible tannins leaking.. I haven't placed driftwood yet, those bad boys are expensive here! found a perfect one for my 75 gallon, but they want $149 for it!!!

I found mine on the beach. It was set waaaaaaaay back, obviously hadn't been wet in forever. It was white at first, but now I really like the color.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
mabye it was a type of water mould like it's decaying or something is rotting i see it on food i miss come pwc time

Maybe... But it's driftwood... It's not supposed to rot! Lol. I'll watch it and see if it comes back. I also have some hair algae goin. I need to cycle this sucker so I can get my cleanup crew!

Homedog98 said:
Maybe... But it's driftwood... It's not supposed to rot! Lol. I'll watch it and see if it comes back. I also have some hair algae goin. I need to cycle this sucker so I can get my cleanup crew!

lol ive read this on here its happened to others just clean it off and it should stop

I know some drift wood isn't really drift wood. But seeing how you found it on the beach I'm sure its the real deal. What about salt from the Ocean still in the wood?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol ive read this on here its happened to others just clean it off and it should stop

Already did that. Well, there's still carbon in the filter, so i'm hopefully minimal on nasties. Lol.

GoneFishing said:
I know some drift wood isn't really drift wood. But seeing how you found it on the beach I'm sure its the real deal. What about salt from the Ocean still in the wood?

I leached the stuff for 2 weeks... Then I licked it... (sounds gross... But it didn't taste like much lol) I somehow doubt there was any salt left.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
true true you may want to change carbon soon as well just incase

It's only 4 days old lol. I wasn't planning to use it until I had that sand catastrophe. Lol.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
that was only 4 days ago?! it feels like weeks especially with school coming to a close

You're still in school??? I've been out for a week!!!

Homedog98 said:
You're still in school??? I've been out for a week!!!

i blame snow days originally we were getting out June 14 now its bumped to June 21 i also didnt start till aug 31 im actually getting out earliest in the state gotta love RI

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
i blame snow days originally we were getting out June 14 now its bumped to June 21 i also didnt start till aug 31 im actually getting out earliest in the state gotta love RI

I got out on may 27th lol.

Back
Top Bottom