29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might add more ghost shrimp this weekend to help on the clean up. Probably won't add any more fish until I get a 10 gal quarantine after Christmas. Going to build a small stand out of 2x4 or 2x6 before I get it to keep it off the floor.

Can ghost shrimp carry any diseases that affect fish?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, i have noticed that I am having little bits of food that the fish are not eating and my one shrimp isn't getting them all.

Is it bad if I use little pieces of lead that came with the plants to hold some down until they get bigger?

I just had another question but now I can't remember it ?

From the top of my rim to the substrate it is ~16 inches.

What my tank looks like from the opposite side of the room. I cropped the second one to make the tank more visible...still doesn't look like much for now

Attachments

• 1418173840434.jpg
    1418173840434.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 1418173968803.jpg
    1418173968803.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 64
55 Gallon Planted Tank - 2 years in 2 Minutes: http://youtu.be/779XWFYcLuA such a nice looking tank! Talk about a transformation from start to end!

I will post a FTS from the "normal" distance later today.

And the promised FTS. The fish are much more active now that the temperature is lower...that or they are just telling me they are hungry. Second picture is the wisteria I moved from below the DW because it wasn't getting alot of light, and one leaf was starting to go clear. After moving it the leaf got its green cokor back, but the plant I put where the short one was is loosing some green in the leafs :(. Third picture is the biggest pond snail maybe 1/4 inch long, i could only find 2 of the 3 when I took the pictures. Final picture is of some new elodea growth, that stuff grows up like crazy but not all the stems have good roots :(

Attachments

• 1418255002359.jpg
    1418255002359.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 1418255065579.jpg
    1418255065579.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 1418255286550.jpg
    1418255286550.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1418255327684.jpg
    1418255327684.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 52
Back to a 2 bottle co2 system. Third bottle has a leak somewhere, and I can't find it. I will try replacing the cap and see if that works. I now have co2 bubbles in the tank again :)

looking good.

Once that wisteria starts to take off man its awesome. My one plant is not like NINE.

I actually just broke two pieces off to start planting it on the other side to get some over there to hopefully break the aggression between my flying fox and rainbow shark. They both seem to love being in the wisteria but hate each other (understandable and my mistake)

You should throw some Val in there, it would look nice and grows well. My one plant is not like FOUR and the leaves are so long they snake around the top of the tank water. My Java fern sprouted 3 new plants off its leaves, but those were actually started at the LFS when I got it but I finally broke them off and stuck them to my driftwood.
A banana plant might be a nice addition and they are REALLY hardy.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/95775-albums14194.html
Im going to look around for some of that elodea.... looks pretty neat.
What do you so with your pond snails? When I see to many I actually mush them and drop them in the tank. My shrimp and fish love to eat them.

I mash up the pond snails too.

Edit-I cleaned the rock cave yesterday of algae and found 8 baby snails on it. They where squished promptly. These snails reproduce like crazy!

That is my plant list I am planning

Attachments

• 1418395231147.jpg
    1418395231147.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 77
Anyone know what thos film is? I have had it for a week or so now.

All my neons and some of the black skirts are hiding in the back on the bottom so I tested. Came back with 0-0-30 ppm trate, 7.4 pH, 6.7GH, and 4.4 KH. I was thinking lack of o2 so i turned on the air stone. Only 1 of the black skirts has a black skirt. The others look like the one in the pictyre below. All neons have good color.

I wonder if they are mad with me for messing around in the tank so much in the past few days.

Any ideas as to what could be causing them to hide though?

Attachments

• 1418431619613.jpg
    1418431619613.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1418431948583.jpg
    1418431948583.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 75
No change in the black skirts color, but that film went away.

I cut one of the long branches off an old anacharis stem, and used the metal to hold it down. I also used a zip tie to hold down the java fern on the driftwood. The fishing line just wasn't holding it down :(

You may have a few days where the levels arent rigth (0). I would add some tetra safestart to ensure you make up any missing bacteria and get things back on track. I literally just did the same substrate change you are doing and I LOVE the new look.

You may have a few days where the levels arent rigth (0). I would add some tetra safestart to ensure you make up any missing bacteria and get things back on track. I literally just did the same substrate change you are doing and I LOVE the new look.

Huh? The tank has been cycled for just over a month now. I tested on December 11th and came back woth 0-0-30ppm

Bought a second 100W heater. My original just wasn't heating it up to 86. 2 weeks and I am hoping to be ich free :)

I am making a voucher now... I Michael L will NEVER buy fish from big box stores unless they are quarantined for 1 month first.

Also flipped my background so it is now black. Shows the algae better but it also shows my plants better :)

Using a loop hole in my voucher. It says fish...nothing about shrimp.

Picked up 10 mpre ghost shrimp to give my one some friends. Hopefully these ones won't die in 3 weeks.

Using a loop hole in my voucher. It says fish...nothing about shrimp.

Picked up 10 mpre ghost shrimp to give my one some friends. Hopefully these ones won't die in 3 weeks.

That's okay in my book. I've purchased shrimp but no fish.
Just be sure to acclimate as with any new comer and minimize the introduction of transport water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I never ever ever put pet store water into my tank. I am drip acclimating the shrinp right now. When I am done I use my net and a second container, dump the container with shrimp and water into the other container using the net to catch the live stock. No nasty water in my my tank that way.

Back
Top Bottom