29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrimp are very hard to pick up off of the floor...walked downstairs to check on the acclimatization, and found the biggest shrimp(~1inch) on the floor. Took me a couple trys to get him back into the container. I used the plastic bag to decrease chances of anymore jumping out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All 10 shrimp are added to the tank. When i was at the store I bought some sinking food-veggie pellets and 100% shrimp pellets. Not sure what I was thinking with the shrimp pellets, but I added some veggie ones. Only problem is the neons seem to like them, and they scare the shrimp off. :(

I decided to just float my anacharis stems that where not growing roots so I could tell if they where even growing them slowly. I am also sloating a wisteria stem that doesn't want to grow roots.

To propagate my wisteria I have read different things. Some say to cut a leaf close to the steam and let it float. Others say wait for roots to form and cut off the section that has the root 1 inch below the root.

Is this the right way? I have a drawing of the first option I have heard

Either way I won't be doing anything tank related today. I have my math final exam tomorrow, and I have to get a good grade to pass. Calculus is no fun :(

Attachments

• 1418756081129.jpg
    1418756081129.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 54
You can cut the top section off and plant it. A single leaf might not make it ? You can trim leaves off the part you are sticking into the substrate, or you can skip it and leave leaves on.

Just plant stem plants to where the leaves are not quite touching so they're getting enough light down near the bottoms of the stems. As needed you can cut plants and remove scraggly bottoms and replant.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. The plant in the picture in my last post is far from a trim, but some others may be due.

I have one stem that is growing in a circle instead of up. Any ideas on how to correct this?

I was by the tank and decided to take a FTS. the transformation from start to now is incredible imo. First picture is right before I took the old out, second is when I added all the plants I have now (except moss ball), and final shot is todays FTS.

For a better view of transformation the very last picture was taken on 12/10 before I started floating some of the plants

Attachments

• 1418779599395.jpg
    1418779599395.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 1418779679688.jpg
    1418779679688.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 1418779699939.jpg
    1418779699939.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 1418779792829.jpg
    1418779792829.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 51
To propagate my wisteria I have read different things. Some say to cut a leaf close to the steam and let it float. Others say wait for roots to form and cut off the section that has the root 1 inch below the root.

Either way I won't be doing anything tank related today. I have my math final exam tomorrow, and I have to get a good grade to pass. Calculus is no fun :(

Ive done both now. Ive got some floating leaves rooting and have broken a rooted stem piece. Snapping a rooted stem piece obviously grows faster.

I had one stem that had now leafs in the middle but had roots in that area. I cut 2 inches below the bottom leafs and replanted that piece, and let the leafless section rooted to see if it grows and new leafs.

I also added diy root tabs last night. in the area of the wisteria, and one under the anacharis. I dont have gel caps or ice cube trays so I improvised with an egg shaped jello tray. Added 1/8 teaspoon Osmocote (as per Mebbid), covered them with water, and once frozen solid pushed them as far as i could into the substrate.

Man I am at my max photo uploads :( hire else do you get pictures again?

I paid to be a member so I could post more pics.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, also felt supporting the forum was a nice idea too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Me three. Along with supporting the cause, I did it for the unlimited messages.
You can also post pics on a third party site such as Photobucket, Imgur, etc and post the links to the pics in your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, i am probably going to do the third party site. Work isnt steady and i have to pay for gas.
I just happened to drive by petsmart yesterday and wanted a nice foreground plant. I saw they had a gel pack of DHG so i grabbed one...lol jk, I got 1 anubias nana

Either way works. Wisteria is a super fast grower, so you can just chop the top off or one of its side shoots and replant. I also had a leaf floating around my tank, and when I took it out it had the cutest little roots on it haha.

Calculus eh? I remember those days...

Either way works. Wisteria is a super fast grower, so you can just chop the top off or one of its side shoots and replant. I also had a leaf floating around my tank, and when I took it out it had the cutest little roots on it haha.

Calculus eh? I remember those days...

When I get home today I will have to trim the curly stem plant, and let the cuttings float for a while. I will also have to try the third party site thing.

That final kicked my butt big time!

Ok finally got the Photobucket account made.

The other 3 pictures I took dont look good on photobucket :(

Is this some kind of algae on my wisteria? It seems to be growing on most of the plants and the real driftwood. It isn't on the anubias nana though (maybe because of how new it is)

I am thinking about ditching my split photo period and just doing one period from 3:30-9:30. How does this short light period affect fish?

2 more questions. How does the anubias propagate, like the java fern where plantlets grow on it? Can I cut an empty section of rhizome on the java fern? It is probably 1 inch long in the middle of old leafs and new ones. The old ones where grown when I bought the plant and the new ones grown in the tank.

Well it is looking more like some kind of algae. I cut my photo period down even more, it is now 6.5 hours down from 8. Not sure what else to do besides maybe a 3 day blackout.

Happy Holidays to anyone following. I will be doing an update within a week.

Back
Top Bottom