29 gallon temporary tank for Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyper27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm kind of torn between getting Fancy Goldfish or Angelfish for a temporary 29 gallon tank. What I mean by "temporary" is that I will upgrade to a 75 gallon after a year. I know for goldfish that I could only keep 2 in a 29 gallon, then keep around six in a 75 gallon and have 10x the filtration compared to the tank volume, as well as having good aeration. For angelfish, however, I've been reading many different things on the internet, so I wanted to ask you guys. Could I keep 4-6 angelfish in a 29 gallon for one year, and then later on keep them all in a 75 gallon without running into any big problems? Additionally, how much filtration do they need compared to goldfish?
Thanks,
Hyper27

Goldfish and angels are worlds apart. From water temperature, food, tank mates and so on. You should decide which one you want and then go from there. If you get goldfish you need tons of filtration, for angels you need a lot less, but it also depends on what else is in the tank. A 29 gallon would be too small for 4 angels for a full year. They would probably end up getting too big and territorial. You could get two angels for the 29, then get another 2 when you upgrade. With the goldfish I would only get 1 for the 29, and then 2 more when you get the 75g.

With the filtration, you would probably want a fluval fx5 for a 75 goldfish tank, or something comparable, but with the angel/community tank you would only need a couple hang on the back filters, or a smaller canister filter.

unless you already have the 29g I would just skip it and go straight for the 75g it will be better for either fish in the long run

No! Then you only have 1 tank! If you upgrade you can then turn the old 29 into another tank! Geez Jessica!

Goldfish and angels are worlds apart. From water temperature, food, tank mates and so on. You should decide which one you want and then go from there. If you get goldfish you need tons of filtration, for angels you need a lot less, but it also depends on what else is in the tank. A 29 gallon would be too small for 4 angels for a full year. They would probably end up getting too big and territorial. You could get two angels for the 29, then get another 2 when you upgrade. With the goldfish I would only get 1 for the 29, and then 2 more when you get the 75g.

With the filtration, you would probably want a fluval fx5 for a 75 goldfish tank, or something comparable, but with the angel/community tank you would only need a couple hang on the back filters, or a smaller canister filter.
What would you find easier to care for? I have had goldfish in the past, and swim bladder was a problem I noticed time to time. Also how long would 4 angels in a 29 last? 1 year can be shortened as well if necessary...
I already have the 29 gallon btw

They are both easy to care for if you are willing to do water changes, and test your water if you see any issues. If you put 4 juvenile angels (that are smaller than 1 inch) in a 29 gallon you will have to just wait and see. If there is no other fish they might be alright. It depends on how fast they grow, which depends on how much you feed,the individual fish, and the quality of the water.

They are both easy to care for if you are willing to do water changes, and test your water if you see any issues. If you put 4 juvenile angels (that are smaller than 1 inch) in a 29 gallon you will have to just wait and see. If there is no other fish they might be alright. It depends on how fast they grow, which depends on how much you feed,the individual fish, and the quality of the water.

Okay now if I did a community with 2 angels in a 29 gallon, could I later do 6 angels with a community in a 75 gallon, or would I be better of just doing only angels if I wanted that many?

Okay now if I did a community with 2 angels in a 29 gallon, could I later do 6 angels with a community in a 75 gallon, or would I be better of just doing only angels if I wanted that many?

It doesn't sound like much, but 6 angels in a 75 will cause you issues. I have 5 in my 75, one pair and three quarter sized, I knew I'd eventually rehome one of them to have two pairs but there's a little more aggression than I expected and I would highly suggest not doing more than four. You'll be surprised how much adult angels fill out a tank

how about you wait until you get a 75g to get angels or goldfish!!! you could do a pair of rams a school of tetras and a couple of pygmy cories or kuhlis loaches!! that would be a cool tank!!

Okay so the soonest I can get a 75 gallon will be 6 months from when the angelfish will be introduced. How many do you think I could put in the temporary 29 gallon?

I believe angel fish like tall tanks, right? I have a 75 gallon, and while I think it is a very nice, proportional community tank, it's only 20" tall.

The 75 is plenty tall for angels, they like space and swimming room and need a little headroom, which the 75 has plenty of. If you end up putting angels in the 29 I would suggest only two, that's if you'll be upgrading in 6 months, if any longer I would only do one

The 75 is plenty tall for angels, they like space and swimming room and need a little headroom, which the 75 has plenty of. If you end up putting angels in the 29 I would suggest only two, that's if you'll be upgrading in 6 months, if any longer I would only do one

I've heard that angels do better schooling in groups of 3 or more as juveniles... Is that true? Also are you saying 2 due to aggression levels?

I don't not agree with having to keep angels in groups. They do fine singularly.

2 for a 29 is all you should do. And only a few bottom feeders if anything else.

I've heard that angels do better schooling in groups of 3 or more as juveniles... Is that true? Also are you saying 2 due to aggression levels?

If the tank is big enough I think a group of angels would be best, but they can be kept singularly without issues. The reason why I suggest one is because of your timeline. If the earliest you could upgrade is 6 months then you have to stock your tank like the fish have 6 months of growth on them, so angels that you buy from the store are probably nickel size but you have to pretend they're much larger. If you have several angels that are that size there will be a lot of territory issues

Ok, now if I do this, the angelfish will vary in size. If this happens, will there be any issues? Additionally, would two be ok, because I have heard that keeping one solitary for that long will make it more aggressive towards others in a tank full if angels.

Ok, now if I do this, the angelfish will vary in size. If this happens, will there be any issues? Additionally, would two be ok, because I have heard that keeping one solitary for that long will make it more aggressive towards others in a tank full if angels.

It shouldn't be an issue since you'd be putting the angel into a new tank with a new appearance so it wouldn't be defending a territory, but you could do two if you really wanted.

It shouldn't be an issue since you'd be putting the angel into a new tank with a new appearance so it wouldn't be defending a territory, but you could do two if you really wanted.

Great! What gender is generally less aggressive? If I have the ability to get 2 males/ 2 females, which will be better? Additionally, if I do get a male and female that form a breeding pair, will they be very aggressive to all the other fish?

Great! What gender is generally less aggressive? If I have the ability to get 2 males/ 2 females, which will be better? Additionally, if I do get a male and female that form a breeding pair, will they be very aggressive to all the other fish?

You won't be certain of sex until they spawn, but you can take an educated guess at the sex without spawning, although these less than accurate sexual dimorphism traits don't begin to show until they've reached maturity. Females are generally less aggressive though, and pairs will be more aggressive than a solo but mainly around their spawning time. Each has their own personality too. This is why in a 75 I don't recommend more than 4 and much less in a smaller tank. Even with just two in a 29 gallon tank will have some serious issues unless they're a mated pair with nothing in the tank, 29 gallons just isn't enough space for everyone to claim a territory

Back
Top Bottom