29 gallong tank, Dwarf Lion Fish! (FOWLR, Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This can be true. Key words in your statement "may not". I have heard of it going both ways, so it depends how important those smaller fish will be to you.

yea but to me my yellow tails are not to important if they get ate they just hide all day anyways haha but i may wait for my one clown to get bigger before i try and even add a baby lion fish my other is pretty good size. its all trial and error though

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you might want to reconsider the canister filter. It really is not needed. It will end up trapping the detritus that the skimmer would have otherwise taken out of the water column.....otherwise, the junk will end up stuck in the canister and decaying, deminishing the water quality. You could box it up and take it back for money to put towards your light.

I like your set up. You have a lot of good stuff and a solid plan. I'm diggin the reef octopus skimmer. It's the heart of the tank and I think you will really appreciate it.

Baron, what's up Brother! I like my valentini/saddleback Puffer, but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't get him! He nips my other Fish's fins! And they are infamous jumpers!!!!

Just throwing my 2 cents in here. :) As for the buckets, for your size tank I would just get about 3-4 5g buckets from paint dept at lowest or Home Depot. They're about $5total for a lid/bucket (sold separately). Then for initial fill, make 2 trips to the store. 4 buckets will be about 20g, and you'll have some water displacement from LR and sand, so you'll only need 2 trips to the store. Unless you upgrade to a bigger tank, you're not gonna need 8 buckets ever again after the fill. Then you just have 8 buckets taking up space. You can store water for emergency use in the buckets, and 20g should be enough for an emergency PWCs.

All right, thanks for the feed back.

Mr. Crabs, I got the filter on sale going out of business. Can not take it back, so I am going to use it. If cleaned once a week along with the water change it can be a big benefit for the tank and not a hindrance. I would rather clean it once a week and go though the headache for the benefit. Plus I can't take it back. :p

BeenGirl, I am going to get eight because I need something to haul the live rock in, and plus I am not going to drive 64 miles twice in one day to get the water. I am getting my water from the Reef in Indianapolis and I live in Batesville. I also live on a little farm right now, so the extra buckets will be needed. Got to feed the Chickens. :p

The Flame Angel is ok in a 29 gallon from all the research I have done. live aquaria is the only website that I have seen that says a 70 gallon minimal. I was planning on four fish, but with the flame in the tank I might just keep it to three and be fine.

Elude82, Ok he is out and the Clowns are out as well. I have already planed on a 60 gallon tank and going to move everything over that I have now equipment wise when I move out. All I really got to do is spend the money on the tank and stand. By that time I am hoping my base rock will become live rock and I will go cheaper with the sand in the bigger tank. I think some sand from pet smart and maybe two bags of live sand on top will be fine. I think the Flame Angel is going to be the show piece for my tank, and after seeing the Lion Fish I thought I wanted I was really not that impressed. That is why I am thinking of just dropping him from the list. In all honestly I think that the bigger Lion Fish is more appealing to me then dwarf, so I might do a tank for just a Big Lion one day.

I got to plan the other tank, because in Six months I plan on moving out and it's an excuse to my wife to go bigger. :p It's a good thing because I would rather leave my fish at my old place and get my bigger tank cycled before I move the fish over. It will give them a bigger tank and I won't have to worry about all the problems of moving a tank.

Baron, u live in batesville? Way cool! I live in Columbus. About 45 minutes south of Indy. The reef does have best priced water around, and if you'd want, Uncle Bills has it so u can rent 5 gallon water jugs with a $10 deposit each, then just take them back when done and get that back. Their saltwater is $1.25/gallon if I'm not mistaken. Best place tho for fish ad supplies in Indiana, hands down, is Premium Aquatics in southport.

All right, thanks for the feed back.

Mr. Crabs, I got the filter on sale going out of business. Can not take it back, so I am going to use it. If cleaned once a week along with the water change it can be a big benefit for the tank and not a hindrance. I would rather clean it once a week and go though the headache for the benefit. Plus I can't take it back. :p

BeenGirl, I am going to get eight because I need something to haul the live rock in, and plus I am not going to drive 64 miles twice in one day to get the water. I am getting my water from the Reef in Indianapolis and I live in Batesville. I also live on a little farm right now, so the extra buckets will be needed. Got to feed the Chickens. :p

The Flame Angel is ok in a 29 gallon from all the research I have done. live aquaria is the only website that I have seen that says a 70 gallon minimal. I was planning on four fish, but with the flame in the tank I might just keep it to three and be fine.

Elude82, Ok he is out and the Clowns are out as well. I have already planed on a 60 gallon tank and going to move everything over that I have now equipment wise when I move out. All I really got to do is spend the money on the tank and stand. By that time I am hoping my base rock will become live rock and I will go cheaper with the sand in the bigger tank. I think some sand from pet smart and maybe two bags of live sand on top will be fine. I think the Flame Angel is going to be the show piece for my tank, and after seeing the Lion Fish I thought I wanted I was really not that impressed. That is why I am thinking of just dropping him from the list. In all honestly I think that the bigger Lion Fish is more appealing to me then dwarf, so I might do a tank for just a Big Lion one day.

I got to plan the other tank, because in Six months I plan on moving out and it's an excuse to my wife to go bigger. :p It's a good thing because I would rather leave my fish at my old place and get my bigger tank cycled before I move the fish over. It will give them a bigger tank and I won't have to worry about all the problems of moving a tank.

Yeah, I'd probably buy 8 too if I had to drive that far. I have several LFS with a 10min drive, so 2 trips wasn't a big deal. And hey, gotta have something for the chicken feed, right? I grew up in Indiana. :)

Yeah, that is one good thing about living in Florida, so many LFS! I am lucky! Lol

Tank is Set up!

All right guys, I got the tank set up and running. I got

49.9 pounds of fully cured live rock and 60 pounds of live sand.

The store gave me 6 small hermit craps to go with the rock and everything else. I didn't really care about the craps, but I figured what the heck, free.

I did my first test after letting it run for 16 hours. I could be wrong, but everything was off the chart already. I don't know if I tested wrong or if that is to be expected? I used all of the fish store premixed water. I hope you see the pictures well. I got the skimmer going, and I could use some pointers on how to make sure it's running right. I already see foam collecting in the cup. Thanks for the help, when do you think this tank will be fully cycled so I can have fish? I already got the itch starting for fish, but I know I need to be patient. :p

Sorry I have been away for awhile without any updates, but my internet is not working right. It's always in our out. So I am looking into new providers.

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpg
    IMG_9636.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8644.jpg
    IMG_8644.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 140
Some more

This is just some more pics. Some early pics with the sand still being cloudy.
Oh, and the TV was on a commercial for History Channel. Bit Bulls and Parolees was showing, and I got that pic reflecting, it's funny to me. :p In case your wondering, but that's the bird that delayed my tank. My new addition to the family. :p

Attachments

• IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8348.jpg
    IMG_8348.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4885.jpg
    IMG_4885.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 123
cant help you with the cycling because I just started trying to cycle my first tank. But cute bird, I used to have all kinds of different parrots. Tank looks nice as well.

Glad you started! Everyone's tank is different so there's no saying when a cycle will be completely finished. Make sure that the ammonia reaches 4-5 ppm. I don't know why they gave you hermit crabs if they knew there was going to be ammonia :L. Cycle usually lasts 1 or 2 months (mine was 2), but it depends (can be more or less). Love the bird!

Who knows why they gave me Craps. To be honest, I shouldn't have taken them. I was just in the buying moment and they threw them in on top of it, maybe it was to give the tank something to help cycle. They are just going to get eaten by the fish when I get them anyway. Should I put a dead shrimp in the tank as too make sure the Bactria has something to eat? Or would all the live rock and sand be sufficient?

I am feeding the Craps, so that helps put stuff in the tank. When I did the test strip the Ammonia was not that bad, and in the safe. When I did the liquid test it was at 5 PPM. So I don't know, I am going to definitely let it run for a while before putting fish in.

Throw a shrimp in there. Maybe 2 so you can get a real good strong cycle going. But with all cured live rock and live sand your cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if it were over in 1 week

Khij That was the plan. I wanted to get it done and have fish as soon as I could. I wanted to do it right. I may have went overboard, but nuking my first tank (freshwater) made me real cautious with this one.

Question! I have micro-bubbles all over the tank, and the skimmer is making some from the sponge where the water comes out of after it has been though the skimmer. I have a reef octopus BH 1000. Is there something I need to do besides putting it together and turning it on? I had to blow air into the air tube to get it going a little.

So put 2 shrimp in there and let it run. Keep testing until your ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Also don't run your skimmer during the cycle.

Skimmers usually take 2 weeks as a brake in period and are known to produce micro bubbles during that.

Got the Shrimp in the tank now. Two big uncooked raw shrimp. :p

It's been three days since I threw the shrimp in the tank. Both have have nasty white slime layer around them. I am assuming that is normal. I have not tested my water yet, I am going to when I get back from school this weekend.

I have been thinking, now that I have it up and running my mind has gone wild with what fish I should put in. I know I have my line up, but that has been changing every minute it seems like. lol

I am really sure I want the Six Line Wrasse and the Flame Angle. I am not sure about the Hawkfish thou. I already tossed out the dwarf lion long ago. So what third fish should I replace the Hawkfish with? Would a big clown fish be ok with the two tank mates?? or maybe two clown fish? Thanks for the help everyone!

The way I stock my tanks, I keep a few things in mind: besides the fish limit, do I want inverts as well, so the fish have to be invert safe if so. Also, water space activity: I like all space of my aquariums to be active! Therefore I want swimmers- to occupy the open water, a bottom dweller- to occupy the sand, and a fish that perches- to occupy the rockscape.

Yeah, I think the Flame and the Wrasse will be nice swimmers for me. I guess being that I only got a small 29 gallon tank, I can only put so much in. I should stick with my original line up and include the hawkfish still. With the three fish that I do plan on, what else would you suggest for a fourth? A bottom dweller maybe??

Back
Top Bottom