29g biocube start up help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmiles82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I bought a 29g biocube yesterday and with advice from the guy at the LFS put two bags of live sand in the bottom, still in the sealed bags and made the salt water myself. Tested the water this morning and made adjustemnts to the correct salinity. He suggested opening the bags of sand this evening and adding the live rosk i purchased. The tank is very cloudy as i expected. How long can i expect it to be cloudy? I added the suggested amount of fritz zyme live nitrifying bacteria. A few guys at the store said in a few days I can add a clean up crew, is this correct? I would appreciate any adive or suggestions please. The biocube is stock, i do not have money at this stage to make mods, the only thing i have left out is the filter cartride. I am looking to put corals in when ready and then fish. Thank you

Step 1: Be patient. You need to start cycling. You need a saltwater test kit that will test the ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. You should see the ammonia go up with the die off from the live rock, then you will see the nitrIte spike. The ammonia and nitrIte will eventually go to 0ppm and the nitrAtes will go up. At that time you will do a big water change to get the nitrAtes down and then you will be ready for a CUC. This could take weeks, not days! If the live rock does not create enough ammonia, you will have to supplement with raw shrimp or pure ammonia.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your advice. This morning the tank was clear and looking good, I only need to rearrange the rocks and do some landscaping to get the rock design I want. Am I right in assuming the tank will start to cycle now by itself? What should I be looking for in te new few weeks? What is a good hardy fish to think about adding first or do I start with a few crabs and shrimp? Thank you again

You need to get a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. Start testing now for ammonia and nitrItes. It should start on its own, but you may have to add a raw shrimp or pure ammonia to start the cycle if you dont see ammonia in the first couple days. There are many articles on this site that explain the process. Look around then ask questions about anything you dont understand.

Thank you for all the help so far. I came home from work and the tank looks great, very clear and floing well. I am planning to add a raw shrimp and let nature take its turn and cycle through. The LFS store will test water free for so i plan on taking a sample there this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions what i can do now or is this simply waiting a few weeks for the cycle to take course and the right balance to occur. I a also looking to put coral in the tank, it is stock biocube 29g the only thing i have done is leave out the stock filter. What types of coral could i add once the levels are safe, please if possible post pictures. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom