29g biocube stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm upgrading from a 10g to a 29g in the near future so I will be moving my ocellaris clown and citron clown goby from the 10g to the new tank but I don't know what else to get. I'm thinking another clown and maybe a royal gramma/longnose hawkfish. Is the hawkfish reef safe and will it eat inverts? Also, how hard are green mandarins to care for?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Long nose are known for munching on shrimp and small fish. It might not be a wise idea to house one with a small goby.
When it comes to mandarins, they are extremely hard to care for. For the most part they only eat pods and need an extremely large amount to be successful. I kept one in my 55 reef for a tad bit over a year and spent a fortune trying to keep the tank stuffed with pods. This was with it eating mysis shrimp as well. Not something I would recommend.
What I would recommend would be a dottyback. Great fish for a tank this size. I loved my indigo dottyback, had great personality.

Thank you! I think I'll go with a bicolor dotty back ?

Would I be overstocked with 2 clowns, clown goby, bicolor dotty back and a bangaii cardinal? If that's too much I'll skip the cardinal I think

The tank should be here for next weekend. Do you reckon I'd need to buy new live sand? I know I'll need to some more live rock. How should I go about transferring the fish?

In my 29 biocube I have 2 o. Clowns, starry blenny(my fav), and a bang Cardinal.

I feed mysis every three days or so because the cardinal doesn't eat pellets or flakes. Ocassionaly will drop a couple pellets for the clowns on off days. 20% pwc religiously a week and nitrates stay at 0. Thinking about getting another fish but I don't want to push it. Everything seems happy at the moment.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm gonna go for a pair of clowns, royal gramma, citron clown goby and a neon goby. Does that sound good as a final stocking list?

That should probably work. All fish don't have the same "swimming area" if that makes sense so I don't see why not. It would just be about making sure the bio load doesn't get out of hand and monitoring levels. I honestly don't even check my biocube anymore because I found a good medium with water changes that everything seems cool.

You going to do any mods on the biocube? I took my hood off and threw a radion xr15 pro on. I have a aquatic life 115 nano skimmer I think it is in chamber 1 (decent skim mate). I also have a Tunze 3155 ATO.

I still use those pads with carbon and filter floss on them and underneath I took out the bio balls and put in some ruble. I would definitely recommend taking the hood off and get some LEDs over it after the power compacts go downhill after 8 months.

Yeah I'll definitely be going for LEDs. Haven't put any thought into any other mods. Is a skimmer necessary for a 29g or is it just to save on maintenance?

Not really sure about that. I had the coralife biocube skimmer they offer and it was terrible and broke on me a couple months later and barely pulled any skim mate. Went skimmer less for a couple months and everything was fine with my water changes. Then I bought the aquaticlife 115 skimmer because I felt naked without one and it pulls a decent amount of skim mate. Not that black tar you see people getting but a real dark brown/yellowish skim. Not a great pic below but you can see a little

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429820708.298794.jpg

Just emptied it before the post***

A skimmer seems like a good call. I'll see how it goes skimmer less but if it looks like I'd benefit from one I'll definitely get one ��

That was what I had been told before, but if I can find a quiet skimmer it's not gonna do me any harm right?

Back
Top Bottom