29g stocking; betta? center-piece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizzyBeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've scraped the hexagon tank I mentioned in my first thread and am now planning a 29g tank (regular rectangular shape).

Fyi: My tap water tests 7.6pH (after being left out overnight), will this be problematic?

So, I want a peaceful community tank (preferably nothing aggressive or nippy), and no livebearers (I don't want babies all over the place).

What I'd like to stock:
6-8 Von Rio Flame Tetras
8 Zebra Danios (possibly 4 regular, 4 golden)
6-8 Panda Cories
1 male Betta? (I'm thinking as a center-piece fish)

So what numbers of these guys should I keep as to not overstock?

Could I mix 4 panda cories with 4 of a different cory (say peppered or bronze), or would they not shoal properly?

I'm planning on buying a 10g tank to use as a quarantine/hospital tank, so if the betta is quarrelsome, he can be moved to this tank. What experiences have you all had with bettas in community tanks? Would one work (assuming a good personality) with the other fish I plan to stock?

What would another good center-piece fish be? I want something with color! (No fin-nippers, and I also am thinking a gourami is too susceptible to getting sick).

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that because it is a hex it has less bottom area then a standard 29. I would probably only do 6 corys at the most. Also, the side to side swimming area is a little less and the zebras like to swim a lot. They are too crazy for me, but very entertaining to watch. I'm actually looking at getting a hex tank for some angels, so let me know how you like the tank.

I have 2 peppered and 6 bronze corys and they have no problem shoaling together... or hiding under something together. However, the 2 peppered ones tend to stick together.

I would do 6 pandas, 8 flame, 6 zebras, 1 centerpiece fish.

Also, nothing wrong with gourami. I would personally do one male pearl gourami. Those fish are awesome. A betta is basically a gourami with long fins anyhow.

My tanks are both 7.6 pH and I just have to slowly acclimatise the fish as the pH in my Lfs Is much lower than that.

I have mixed Cory groups that all get on well too!

Good luck :)

What I'd like to stock:
6-8 Von Rio Flame Tetras
8 Zebra Danios (possibly 4 regular, 4 golden)
6-8 Panda Cories
1 male Betta? (I'm thinking as a center-piece fish)

I like all but the betta, unless you have a backup tank to put him in if this plan doesn't work. Quite often, they do not do well in a community tank. Either they rip their tankmates to shreds or vice versa.

Keep in mind that because it is a hex it has less bottom area then a standard 29. I would probably only do 6 corys at the most. Also, the side to side swimming area is a little less and the zebras like to swim a lot. They are too crazy for me, but very entertaining to watch. I'm actually looking at getting a hex tank for some angels, so let me know how you like the tank.

I have 2 peppered and 6 bronze corys and they have no problem shoaling together... or hiding under something together. However, the 2 peppered ones tend to stick together.

I would do 6 pandas, 8 flame, 6 zebras, 1 centerpiece fish.

Also, nothing wrong with gourami. I would personally do one male pearl gourami. Those fish are awesome. A betta is basically a gourami with long fins anyhow.

Like I said, I'm going with a standard aquarium not the hexagon. So what numbers can I do in the rectangular set-up?

When we had the old hex tank up, we had a pair of angels in it. They actually breed together, so I'd say they were happy. :) The only downside to the taller hex tanks though is you end up, up to your elbows trying to clean them.

And I've heard such mixed things about bettas. They're just so pretty, but I think I'll stay away because I want to keep things peaceful. I got sort of scared away from gouramis because when I looked into the dwarfs I read about the dwarf gourami virus.

The pearl gourami gets to just under 5 inches right? I get sort of scared about bigger fish trying to eat my smaller fish. They sound pretty peaceful though.

Like I said, I'm going with a standard aquarium not the hexagon. So what numbers can I do in the rectangular set-up?

When we had the old hex tank up, we had a pair of angels in it. They actually breed together, so I'd say they were happy. :) The only downside to the taller hex tanks though is you end up, up to your elbows trying to clean them.

And I've heard such mixed things about bettas. They're just so pretty, but I think I'll stay away because I want to keep things peaceful. I got sort of scared away from gouramis because when I looked into the dwarfs I read about the dwarf gourami virus.

The pearl gourami gets to just under 5 inches right? I get sort of scared about bigger fish trying to eat my smaller fish. They sound pretty peaceful though.

Oh, my mistake, it was early when I read your post. Pearl gourami get about 4 inches. They could care less about other non-labyrinth fish around them. I have 3 males in my 55 right now because I couldn't find any females. They don't bother any of my smaller fish at all, they do chase each other off though but it's nothing excessive. As far as gouramis go, they are much more peaceful than dwarves.

I think your proposed numbers are fine. I did have 10 zebras in with 10 harlequin rasboras and the zebras harassed the rasboras, so they might do the same to your tetras. I had to take them back to the store... and catching them wouldn't be fun even with a net the size of a football field.

i would honestly say dont put the betta in that sort of tank. bettas (in my experience) need more length than height. however its entirely on you. i have had success with male bettas in community tanks. we had neon tetras in with our betta and he was fine with them... well aside from when he used to take their food lol however long as you make sure they eat as well as the betta then all should be well. i'd say 6 - 10 tetra with only a few cories if you are to go ahead with the tank.

im actually in the opposite situation.lol i have a 20 gallon Hexagon that im starting here, now what would you consider for stocking that??

sorry i just noticed actually you said you have a normal rectangular tank. apologies i thought you were getting a hexagonal tank :/

So I'm thinking for my stocking in my regular 29g rectangular tank:

6 Von Rio Flame Tetras
6 Zebra Danios
6 Panda Cories
1 Pearl Gourami

Thoughts on the numbers?

Since the gourami gets a little bigger, I don't want to overcrowd them all, could I do more in the schools or are six of each good?

I had a betta with corys, kuhli loaches, ghost shrimp and snails and everything got along. I don't know about the rest of the fish you were thinking about though.

I saw a German Blue Ram at one of my lfs's. It was absolutely beautiful. I might like to have one.

I've read really mixed things about the parameters they like. Seems like they like low pH and higher temperatures. I was wondering if they would do ok with cories, the flame tetras and the danios? I read in different places that each are compatible and that each aren't compatible. ??? :huh:

Thoughts as to a gbr as my center-piece?

Back
Top Bottom