29g stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tribalturtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if people have comments about stocking mollies with tetras and cory cats?

I've been reading that mollies do better with brackish water and was wondering whether they'd be ok in a completely freshwater tank? Also, was wondering if adding salt would adversely affect tetras and cory cats +/- ghost shrimp.

I'm not really stocked and haven't bought the mollies, but am trying to plan...

Also, I was thinking about having an angelfish but read that it could attack/eat the tetras.

Thanks for any comments!

Mollies do fine in FW or brackish -- they're extremely adaptable. Angels will sometimes eat smaller tetras like neons but it also depends on the individual fish too. Personally I'm not a huge fan of mixing mollies and an angel in that small of a tank, although it certainly can work. Mollies are messy and extremely active, while angels are graceful with more flow. It's possible in just a 29 the mollies could bother the angel a bit. Have you thought of maybe dwarf cichlids?

I have mollies and tetra housed together and they do fine they're housed with several tetras and silver dollars and no fuss they're in brackish water also

What kind of tetras?
I don't think the angel would go low enough to bother cories. If you really like mollies then you could put them in with an angel, but angels grow big and you might have to rehome it.

Thanks for all the comments! I have 6 neon tetras with 3 glo tetras and 5 cory cats.

I'm looking to fill out my stock. Will definitely get 1 or 2 ghost shrimp.

Any advice or comments r appreciated.

My LFS had some nice orange sailfin mollies which is why I was thinking in that direction. I'd like to get some more color in my tank...

Oh I didn't see the comment about dwarf cichlids at first...

I was using the website calculator for stocking and was checking cichlids for my rank and it alerted me that they might eat all my other stock...would the dwarf cichlids be safe then?

South American dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos are pretty peaceful. Only when they're breeding do they show a little aggression toward other fish that get too near their eggs.

I'd also recommend checking out either dwarf or honey gouramis. Once they're established they show very bright and beautiful colors (in the store they may look pretty washed out). I'd recommend a pearl gourami but not if you plan to get mollies. Pearl gouramis prefer tankmates that are a little more on the calm side. :)

Back
Top Bottom