29L set up ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chavez310

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have an empty 29L tank. I'm fairly new to the hobby, so before I start purchasing equipment that may not be necessary I wanted to seek some guidance first.

I plan to keep a betta as the star of the tank. From what I know is that Bettas don't like strong currents so any recommendations on which filter I should install?

I don't know much about substrate and since I'm new to starting a planted aquarium i don't know if soil, gravel, or sand is better. I have only kept Anubis nana and Java fern in the past.

I would really appreciate any set up you guys might have in mind or just any tips on where I can purchase equipment, plants, and fish.

Well for starters Bettas are cool however that would be the only fish you could have in the tank unless you got a female but those aren't as beautiful as filter wise I would go with a hang on the back filter because Betty's don't need as good of filtration and they are cheaper than going the gravel route and for the substrate I'd go with gravel they actually make special gravel for plants

Well for starters Bettas are cool however that would be the only fish you could have in the tank unless you got a female but those aren't as beautiful as filter wise I would go with a hang on the back filter because Betty's don't need as good of filtration and they are cheaper than going the gravel route and for the substrate I'd go with gravel they actually make special gravel for plants

I did a little bit more research on betta tank mates and as long as a fish doesn't resemble another male betta it's fine. Keeping a female with another male isn't recommended either because eventually they will end up killing each other and I have no plans on breeding them either.

Bettas can end up getting fin rot if they don't have a good filter or clean water at that from what I have been reading. I do plan on going for one of the water fall style filters. If the current seems too strong for the betta then I'll try reducing it with a sponge.

I have been looking at Aqua soil as my substrate since it will be good for the rotala indict I have in mind as a background. Still need to read more on it though.

If you do decide on the Betta remember to add him last and always have a backup plan! I had a betta in my 55G years ago and I added him last, I was lucky I had no issues with him. Good luck :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Back
Top Bottom