2nd filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 56 gallon column tank and a marineland 220 canister filter. Is this enough filtration, or do I need another filter?

Your Filtration Question

I have a 56 gallon column tank and a marineland 220 canister filter. Is this enough filtration, or do I need another filter?

Hello Bbush...

I figure the filtration by multiplying the gallons of tank volume by 6. So, for your tank you need a filter or combination of filters that move about 336 gallons of water per hour. Check the gph (gallons per hour) rating on your filtration equipment if it's at 336 or better, then you have the recommended filtration.

Pretty simple.

B

Since my tank is pretty tall (2 feet) do u think another filter would work, or will I need a powerhead as well? Some one said something about a sponge filter.

Filtration really depends on alot of factors. What are you stocked with?

1 angelfish, 1 Plecostamus, 1 Bolivian ram, 4 rummy nose tetras, and 5 peppered cories, and 1 syno cat.

I usually will try and do at least 5x filtration. I'm assuming your filter does like 220gph? Not sure idk that filter but if so your not quite at 4x filtration. If there's a large bio load then I do more. For example I have two turtles, 12 tiger barbs, 1 opaline gourami, 5 rosy red glass barbs, 1 rubber lipped pleco all in my 55g standard and I have about 10x filtration and do frequent water changes. If your not having any problems with water parameters and your water change schedule is keeping you in check as well as your filter media changes and cleaning then I wouldn't worry about it but it's always nice to have more filtration! Allows you to do a little more with your tank stock wise and a little less with water changes! Live plants help too! Jus MO/E tho.

Given that you've got the pleco in there I would add another filter... it will help in carrying their large bioload

Cool. I will be adding a 2nd filter. I had another one to start with, but now it is running my hospital. Best option for around $50?

Amazon. I purchased my additional HOB for about $30 on my 55g. I don't remember what brand though. The water clarity is better.

Back
Top Bottom