3.5 gal for the Grandkids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be setting up a 3.5 gallon tank for my daughter and her children within the next week or so. I tried to talk her in to a 10 gal, but no luck. The kids really enjoy watching all of the fish in my tanks, and I'm afraid they will be disappointed in what they can have in such a small tank. That being said, I'd like to maximize the visual appeal. Any ideas for stocking? Emphasis on max number and hearty species. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don

In a 3.5 gallon, unfortunately, the answer is "betta or shrimp". You could have a single betta or a ton of shrimp. Maybe a few endlers would be an option.

3-4 male endlers and some shrimp would likely be fine, keep an eye on tests and try and jam it full of plants.

Endlers and shrimp sound like a great idea. I figure Java fern would probably be the best choice for plants. They're low maintenance and pretty hard to kill.

Anubias as well.

Sadly the options above are about the only hardy beginner options for a tank this small.

Caleb

I'm a little nervous about the Java Moss. I'm afraid she won't trim it like she should, and wind up with a tank full of moss.

Moss is relatively easy to remove and its growth rate is not what I would call fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom