3 day blackout miracle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyjawn

Aquarium Advice Activist
in order to combat the BGA and other algae that has been growing in my aquarium, i did a 3 day blackout. it was very hard, my husband was convinced the fish would die, my 2 year old would cry when she'd see the tank all covered...

I uncovered the tank today, prepared for the worst and low and behold - my tank looks FABULOUS! ALL the BGA is gone, about 90% of the algae that was on the leaves of my plants is gone and the plants and fish seem happier than ever!

thankfully, my ferts from greg watson will be here in a few days (as long as canada customs doesn't think they're bomb making materials!)

i've read that an airstone in "dead" areas in the tank may prevent BGA form taking hold and it makes sense in my tank. the area where the BGA was has very little water movement. but i really don't understand how to set up an airstone. i feel like i'm missing some vital piece of information.

anyways, thanks for all the advice so far - it's all been great!

Congrats. I think what people were telling you is just to put an air pump into your tank. The bubbles will agitate the water.

Setting up an air stone is like falling off a log for the most part. You will need an air pump, some 3/16 inch tubing, and your choice of air stone.

The only problem I see with that is the fact that you are feeding co2. Surface agitation will cause you to lose a fair amount of co2 and that is not what you want. If you are looking for more circulation, look into changing the way your filter discharges into your tank. Another option might be a power head to help mix things up.

Back
Top Bottom