3 day vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going on a 3 day camping trip at the end of the month and I already have an automatic feeder for my 30 gal but I don't have anything for my 6 gal betta tank.
1. What should I do for my betta before the trip?
Should I feed him as much as I can? Get another auto feeder? Or just starve him for 3 days?

2. Should I have the lights turned on or off?

Are there any other things I should do with my tanks before going on this trip?

I'm going on a 3 day camping trip at the end of the month and I already have an automatic feeder for my 30 gal but I don't have anything for my 6 gal betta tank.
1. What should I do for my betta before the trip?
Should I feed him as much as I can? Get another auto feeder? Or just starve him for 3 days?

2. Should I have the lights turned on or off?

Are there any other things I should do with my tanks before going on this trip?
Feed him just as you normally do, leave the tank off (he'll still recognize day from night from natural light entering room) and don't worry about him. My betta went without eating for 5 days because I slightly overdosed my tank with PraziPro and all my fish lost their appetites during treatment. Their all as health as a fish now. But if you return home during the day, feed him before you turn the light on. He will otherwise be stressed by the light. If you return home at night, turn on the light, but wait an hour to feed him.

Thanks! I'll most likely return in the morning so I'll make sure to feed him first.

vacation days

depending what your water change routine is you could do a deep cleaning and over the top water change .just to be safe with the ammonia

I'm not really worried about ammonia and nitrates/nitrites becus I have a lot of plants in the tank

Fish can easily go 3 days without feeding. Feed him the day you leave and when you arrive home.

I know its not much of a difference but how about 4 days?
I slightly overdosed my fish about 7 months ago with PraziPro. It caused them to completely stop eating during the whole 5 day treatment. It didn't harm them at all. I still have all of them and they are all very healthy.

Mine go for a week at a time without food when I’m traveling. 4 days is not a problem. The only fish I would be concerned with are fry and younger, more demanding fish.

I think you’ll be fine. I’ve left my betta alone for a whole week and he was fine. This was a while ago so don’t worry. I had a goldfish in there too. They both survived with only a little fin damage. Won’t be doing that again...

Back
Top Bottom