3 gal Eclipse-question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I have been a fresh water fan for many years--currently have a 55 gal Red Cherry shrimp planted tank injected co2-etc...and a 3 Gal Eclipse shrimp tank.
Question:
Can I use the 3 gal Eclipse tank to try saltwater for the first time? What additional equpment would be required? Is this Eclipse filter enough?
Any suggestions or advice on how to get started would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
NY

Yes but, For a first time venture into the "Dark Side" it would be very difficult.You could only keep some snails and maybe a small Goby and would have to check water parameter daily.
The Eclipse filter would be good enough and you would need 3-5#'s of liverock and a little sand. You would more then likely have to do a 10% water change twice a week. A tank that small can go bad really fast.
I would recommend a larger tank in the range of 20-30 gallons to start.
You would need a good liquid test kit (API is a decent one), a Refactometer to montor the water parameters as a Hydromenter( the cheaper one) is not good enough for a tank that small, Sea salt, RO/DI water and lots of patience as nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank.
PS: you would also need a light, a compact flourencent light with a Kalvin range of 6,500k or higher.

Last edited:
Not to mention that you would want to invest in an ATO since the water evaporation in a 3G tank will be insane. Especially if temperatures around the tank exceed 80 degrees.

Not to mention that you would want to invest in an ATO since the water evaporation in a 3G tank will be insane. Especially if temperatures around the tank exceed 80 degrees.

Yeap, I started a 2.5g pico and top off 3-4 times a day! Good thing I have an RO/DI system. :)

Matt

Wow, how do you manage to top off just once a week? Keep a lid on I presume? That may be a good idea since I have a hang on the side power filter that should be plenty for 02 exchange...

Matt

no it actually is a lid off. i figured id have to top off alot. but its just once a week about 1/4th a gallon. im glad i dont gotta top of alot right now since i dont own a ro/di yet.

How far down does your water level drop to? and what's the sg before and after the top off?

That's a good swing, but not out of this world and your animals must be use to it.

What do you have in there that needs a SG of 1.028? That's really on the high side. Most oceans are 1.026sg'

Last edited:
to the OP you can do a small salt tank in a 3 gallon. just be prepared for alot of top offs and constant testing. your filter would be fine just replace the old charcoal in it. you can use new but id just let the live rock be your filter get 3-5 pounds like said and for coral you might need to upgrade your lighting but its all doable :)

Folks,
Thanks for your feed back. I have a spare HOB filter from a 55gal and maybe ill get a 10gal starter tank at Walmart to try this salt water venture. Are there any small inexpensive starter "kits" for saltwater? wife is watching the cash flow :(

Folks,
Thanks for your feed back. I have a spare HOB filter from a 55gal and maybe ill get a 10gal starter tank at Walmart to try this salt water venture. Are there any small inexpensive starter "kits" for saltwater? wife is watching the cash flow :(

You may want to invest in a bit better quality tank than a walmart tank. They are built poorly. Also, id steer clear of kits as they tend to sell you junk equipment. Your 55g HOB should do fine for water movement in a small tank like a 10g. Youll want to get a decent heater ($20.00) and a decent light. You should be able to find a decent light for $50.00 or so to get you started and allow some easy corals (mushrooms and zoanthids). You could go cheaper if you really dont want corals. (youll want them ;-))

Depending on money, youll want to get some live rock. You can keep it cheap by just buying a few pounds of live rock and the rest dry base rock ($2.00/lb). Add some dry aragonite sand and you are set.

Id like to add that an RO/DI unit is EXTREMELY reccomended too!
Matt

What model HOB do you have? you should search for the AquaClear HOB refugium mod. You clip one of the impeller fins to reduce flow a little, then set up baffles and stuff in the back to make room for some macro and a heating compartment. I ran one on my 3 gallon and it was a life saver. Also had room to keep some bags of substrate or phosphate controller, kalk, whatever.

10 gallon tanks from walmart are usally topfin and all my tanks built by them are still running :) so id honestly just by the 10 gallon they have at walmart. by a aquaclear filter and do the refuge mod as said before and get your live rock/baserock. your sand and id go with a pc fixture heck im sure you can use a ten gallon hood with incendescent bulbs and out 40 watt sprial floursecents thats 80 watts over a ten gallon tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom