3 questions about filters / wet dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
  • How often do I replace / rinse out the tan sponge?? The PVC on top of it is the output of my protein skimmer. Currently I am rinsing this sponge once a week (in PWC). Do I need to ever replace it?
  • The blue / White sponge right below the 2 drains.... same question, how often should I replace / rinse? Currently rinsing it once a week in PWC
  • The sand on the bottom of my wet dry.... do I need to do something with this? Geez, is it even sand???

Attachments

• DSC03523.jpg
    DSC03523.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03524.jpg
    DSC03524.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC03525.jpg
    DSC03525.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC03526.jpg
    DSC03526.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 66
Sponges can be a pain in the butt. If I were you I would remove the sponge below the output of your skimmer. It might clog or stop water from returning to your tank and cause an overflow. The other sponge I would clean once a week. As far as the Wet/Dry, if you are keeping fish only that would be okay. If you plan to keep corals then they are old school and I would remove them slowly from your system...a layer or two at a time until they are all gone. Your skimmer is your main flilter in a coral or reef setup.

I thought the rock was? And a skimmer just helps with leftover proteins. If you dont have rock or bacteria locations the fishies die. Am i right?

I do have some corals... but not alot. Are you saying take out my BIO balls one layer at a time? So the only thing in my wet/dry would be the skimmer?? I do have about 100Lb's of LR in the tank.

Yes, do it slowly so as not to stress your LR and give it time to buildup it's good bacteria. After the final bio-balls are removed fill that space with LR rubble at least half way. the reason for this removal is that bio-balls if not cleaned religiously will become "Nitrate Factories".

wow

. After the final bio-balls are removed fill that space with LR rubble at least half way. the reason for this removal is that bio-balls if not cleaned religiously will become "Nitrate Factories".

Wow, i'm kind of taken by surprise at this. I knew that BIO Balls get a lot of opinions regarding "nitrate factories" and preferences for their use. However before I set up this tank many people recommended them for my current set up.....

Is it your "opinion" that they will hurt me in the long run or is this a fact and something I definitely need to jump on and fix ASAP?

As long as you keep a fish only tank with LR bioballs are not a real problem. When you get into corals then nitrate becomes a bigger deal and yes it is a proven fact. I removed my bioballs and sponges and set up a Deep sandbed and my tank is heading towards the 2 year mark with 0 nitrates.
I also run about a half dozen mangrove plants in my sump.

Back
Top Bottom