3 year old Glofish without school..questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
As stated, I have a 3 year old, orange glofish whose small school has passed away in the last 6 months. I didn't really know about schooling when I got them (or cycling, or tank size needed, or anything really) but when I upgraded to my ten gallon and moved them in, I lost the other 2 within a couple of months. I'd like to get him a school, and either keep them in my ten gallon or 36 gallon. I'm not really a huge fan of glofish anymore, but I want him to be happy. However, he looks really different than the glofish I've seen here. They seem much, much longer than this guy is so I'm wondering, will he still recognize them as his own kind and school with them? :thanks:

Yes, he should school with all zebra danios and Glo fish. Glo fish are genetically altered zebra danios so you can stock those instead if you prefer them. In the past few years there have been a couple new colors of Glo fish as well, which are my favorites, blue and purple, so watch for those. He may have been stunted if kept in a smaller tank, and that's why you see the size difference. I would definitely go for the 36 gallon. Danios need a tank about 30" long or more to thrive IMO.

Yes, he should school with all zebra danios and Glo fish. Glo fish are genetically altered zebra danios so you can stock those instead if you prefer them. In the past few years there have been a couple new colors of Glo fish as well, which are my favorites, blue and purple, so watch for those. He may have been stunted if kept in a smaller tank, and that's why you see the size difference. I would definitely go for the 36 gallon. Danios need a tank about 30" long or more to thrive IMO.

Oh no, I guess there's nothing I can do for him if he is stunted? Anything I can do to make him more comfortable? I feel horrible. I didn't think about him being stunted because he and the others I got looked different from these new ones since the beginning.I will definitely move him to my 36 gallon, and I can get him a school tomorrow before I head to classes. Thank you for the quick response, I just didn't want to go get a bunch of Glofish I didn't really want and him not have anything to do with them :banghead: What is a good school size for Glofish/zebra danios?

Well he may have been stunted, but that's not necessarily the case. Some of my full grown danios or just smaller than others, so it could just be that. Often when stunted they will have a bit of a hunchback look to them, so if his spine looks straight, he's probably just a smaller guy. Don't beat yourself up about it either way. ;)

Sometimes it's time to phase a fish out, and there's not always a great way to do that. If you really don't want Glo fish/zebra danios anymore, I don't think it's wrong to let your guy be alone there until he passes, especially since he's an older fish. Or you could maybe trade him at the store for another fish you would like instead. Totally up to you.

6 is the minimum school size. :)

My last glofish had a bent spine, and he was in a 30g tank the whole time. I phased out danios (zebras and glofish) by simply letting them age out. The last one was by himself for a few months, but he was active and eating well up to the end. They are not all that long-lived, so after a few years in my tank they did not have much of a future anyway even if traded.

Well, his back is straight, he is just kind of short and stumpy. I did go ahead and get him a school, I got 6 more glofish, but he doesn't seem to want to school with them. He's kind of just all over the place ignoring them, so I'm not sure what to think. I hated the thought of leaving him alone, so figure once he passes, my cousin has a 20 long that they could maybe move to. If not, then...well, they're actually kind of fun to watch. :) Thank you so much for your help!

What is TB, please?
Oh sorry, it's tuberculosis.

Well, his back is straight, he is just kind of short and stumpy. I did go ahead and get him a school, I got 6 more glofish, but he doesn't seem to want to school with them. He's kind of just all over the place ignoring them, so I'm not sure what to think. I hated the thought of leaving him alone, so figure once he passes, my cousin has a 20 long that they could maybe move to. If not, then...well, they're actually kind of fun to watch. :) Thank you so much for your help!
No problem! And I bet he'll join in eventually. :)

Back
Top Bottom