30 Gal. Mixed Reef Rimless Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I took some pictures of my tank yesterday so I thought I'd share! It's at about 18 months and was transferred from a 12 gallon JBJ Nano tank.

This is an Innovative Marine 30 gal rimless with the filtration built into the tank. My equipment includes a Hydor Koralia Slim Skin Protein Skimmer, and I am currently using Purigen combined with Chem Pure Elite as my filter media. Although I am currently trying Blue Life Clear Pro Fx. See the below thread for that experiment. My lighting is provided by a Eco Tech Radion which I love, and I use an Eco Tech MP10 with a Koralia 425gpm power head to increase flow. My Eco Tech is set to about 90% in Lagoon Crest Mode. I have a 5 gallon top off container which uses RO/DI mixed with Kalk II and controlled by a Tunze ATO. I use a Neptune controller to keep everything running smoothly.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/blue-life-clrear-fx-pro-30-gal-mixed-reef-tank-203911.html

My live stock include a mated pair of clowns, a firefish, two chromis and a green goby (Which showed up after a long absence). I added a Anemone for my clowns a couple of months ago and it has taken off. The pictures show it fully inflated, and it will reduce it size by about 50% in the evening hours. My local fish store said this would work in my tank, but after doing some research, I found that I have a Ritteri Anemone which requires a big tank, so sadly, I think I'll have to find a new home for this guy. It's a shame, because I really do like it and the clowns will be devastated. I'm working on trying to convince my wife that a 70 or 100 gallon would look great in the living room!

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_8319.jpg
    IMG_8319.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_8321.jpg
    IMG_8321.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_8330.jpg
    IMG_8330.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_8332.jpg
    IMG_8332.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 314
Thanks you guys.

The last picture is of my 2 Ritteri Anemone or Heteractis Magnifica. I purchased from a local fish store and it was much smaller. They told me that it should be fine, but after some research I believe it will need a much larger tank.

It is pretty much the focal point of my tank and I do love it! This was yet another learning experience, as I was taken by the beauty of the creature, and didn't do enough research before adding it to the tank. It is doing very well though and my two clowns get lost in that thing!

Some sources say they can grow great than 36" or more in the wild, but often don't grow larger than 10" when kept in an aquarium. During my research, I also found that the minimum recommended tank size is 40 gal, but ideal would be 70 gallons or more! I'm planning on starting a newbuild, a 70 or 100 gallon rimless, so I'm hoping that I might be able to transfer it successfully!

It does appear to be healthy and hasn't moved since placing it in my tank. It sits on it's own rock and it's disc expands and hangs over another outcropping creating a cave like tunnel. It's fun to watch the fish and hang out underneath! Towards the evening hours, it contracts anywhere from 25 to 50% in size.

Here's a Live Aquaria link for more information:

Ritteri Anemone

Thanks again,

Mike

Wow thats amazing and i hope the transfer goes well and you get to keep the beauty

Back
Top Bottom