300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew that would get a rise out of you :) ,... Gotta admit ,it's nicely designed , but yes,,I'll agree if you worked in a plexiglass shop you could prob make one out of tidbits lying around ( as long as the boss wasn't there ) .

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think it's a good idea, I just think it's equivalent to a good ATS which is about as simple a piece of equipment you could design. JMO as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it's a good idea, I just think it's equivalent to a good ATS which is about as simple a piece of equipment you could design. JMO as always.

Your opinion means a lot ,.thats why we bug you so much

A similar product is used in dentistry. I'm using it to glue frags onto plugs. It works as well as super glue, it's clean and sets almost instantly under the uv light. Down side is the bond has to be visible to the uv led that sets the plastic. Upside is it only sets when you want it to.

Bondic® (Starter Kit) The World's First Liquid Plastic Welder! Bond, Build, Fix and Fill Almost Anything in Seconds! Your Hard Fix For Sticky Situations. (Bondic® Starter Kit) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QU5M4MG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_zZmwwbMEEHXY7

Last edited:
As seen on tv ,..... I had that dentistry technique or a prototype used on me years ago , my dentist said I was the very first patient he had used it on ,so I was his Guinea pig and was not charged for the procedure :)
I'm sure there's some real practical uses for it , prob sooner of later they'll be room for some in my glue box .

Nice adaptation on using the uv glue ,... I bet it would be a lot easier on certain frags than others i.e. A slimy mushroom but overall I like the idea ,... I may just have to get some

And Just when you thought your sump was filled with stuff then along came Greg ..... :)

LOL...pretty compact for all the water its handling. That Vertex skimmer is pretty big on its own. Over the years, as you know, I've experimented with almost everything and at the end of the day, these filtration elements seem together to do a fine job without a lot of chemicals. It's also a very stable setup as there are few chemistry related things to go wrong. I exchange 5% of the water about every one to two months with this setup.

Last edited:
LOL...pretty compact for all the water its handling. That Vertex skimmer is pretty big on its own. Over the years, as you know, I've experimented with almost everything and at the end of the day, these filtration elements seem together to do a fine job without a lot of chemicals. It's also a very stable setup as there are few chemistry related things to go wrong. I exchange 5% of the water about every one to two months with this setup.

That kind of surprises me,.. 5% every one to two months ? You obviously can't argue with success but that seems like an awfully low amount ,... Are you adding any " essential elements " or other additives to replace minerals that are used up ?
Isn't the normal rule of thumb is to replace about 10-15% of water every week or two ? I replace about 15 gallons weekly with my setup ,... Just curious

You can go either way. The safest and cheapest way to go is with significant water exchanges as you have noted. But larger systems, especially commercial ones, have too much water volume to be exchanging thousands of gallons of water at a time. Unless your plumbed to the ocean, salt costs alone can get out of control. If you are effectively scrubbing the waste products from the water, you then need only attend to elements that are used up by the corals and algaes and are limiting. Those can be tested and dosed. It doesn't eliminate the need for some water exchanges, but can vastly reduce them. With all the filtration I do and the way I do it, massive water exchanges have rarely been needed.

Last edited:
Quick survey:

I am a believer that good foods makes the fish. But there are times and circumstances where having a dried food on hand makes sense when you don't have time to defrost fresh frozen food. I have used a lot of different products and they all seem to be acceptable to the fish.

Wondering what you all recommend and use when you need fast food for your fish?

Quick survey:

I am a believer that good foods makes the fish. But there are times and circumstances where having a dried food on hand makes sense when you don't have time to defrost fresh frozen food. I have used a lot of different products and they all seem to be acceptable to the fish.

Wondering what you all recommend and use when you need fast food for your fish?

I hate using dry foods, but have had good results with New Life Spectrum, Omega One, & Instant Ocean foods. Sadly I have no long term results of using these products because I use frozen 99.9% of the time.

I got it on Craigslist. It was new and I spent close to $1000.

Yikes! That reef tank is a major investment though and that skimmer looks like a bad dude! Hope it works great for you.

It has worked well so far. I agree that dried foods should be used minimally, but there are times when they are too convenient.

Back
Top Bottom