300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it has a windshield like wiper blade that spins four times a day. Works okay but not great.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Never owned a skimmer that used windshield washer blades ,.are they replaceable like on a car or are they a one set for life type of thing ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It looks like it will last awhile as its white silicone. It just extends the cleaning time by about 50%.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445664316.844444.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445664336.266060.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445664350.526518.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445664364.215329.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445664377.317808.jpg

New setup in the fish room. New ATS in place. Vertex 300 skimmer with soot clean and various reactors all tucked into the old sump with a bit of redesigning. The ATS is blindingly bright, so we shall see.

Looking at sumps is actually more interesting than looking at the display tanks themselves ,... Soooo much junk crammed into such a tight little space,wires and plumbing that would make bob villa cringe !! A couple of observations/ questions ,..#1 the new skimmer looks like it's kicking some serious butt !! But it also looks like your auto neck cleaner gizmo isn't keeping up with cleaning it ,..#2 ,..what's the jug with the felt pen On it ? Kalk ? #3 your ats is cool. , all semi self contained , did the lights come with the unit or is that a Greg add on ?
Are you still running chaeto or did the ats eliminate that ?

The neck cleaner needs adjustment. It's a bit finicky as to how much pressure the wiper places on the neck. The skimmer is working great.

That's the RO water used in the kalkwasser reactor. The doser pushes fresh water in and the kalkwasser comes out the other side.

The ATS came complete with LED floodlights. It's really bright.

No, I don't grow chaeto anymore as the ATS should preform the function of trapping organics.

As you can note, all electrical cables go straight up from the sump so there is little risk of shock.

Dary needs more info on your ats ,... Cost , make ,specs and where In China did it come from,... As stated b4 I may be interested in trying one out someday

Last edited:

I needed a big one and after I added up the parts to build a nice one, his price was in line. My last one was professionally built to my design and it lasted 22 years. Would still be going but I wanted a vertical one this time.

Greg,... I assume that you have your sump for your new skimmer etc rigged to stay at the same water level despite water changes, power outages etc ?

Last edited:
Yes. The baffle the skimmer sits in doesn't vary. I have two redundant one way check valves that keep the tank from back siphoning thru the supply line. Then there is a emergency overflow sump that can contain water if everything else doesn't work.

Yes. The baffle the skimmer sits in doesn't vary. I have two redundant one way check valves that keep the tank from back siphoning thru the supply line. Then there is a emergency overflow sump that can contain water if everything else doesn't work.

Whoa,...that's one weird looking yellow tang!!! ,.... Re sump,.... The reason I was asking is that I'm thinking of having my display tank empty into a container containing only my skimmer,...at what ever water level I assume is correct for the operation of the skimmer say 10inches , I'd have a bulkhead with a valve attached which would drain into my sump,.... My reasoning would be that it would always keep the skimmer in the proper amount of water assuring constant operations with out overflows etc in case of power outages ( like this am ) or water changes etc ,....Sound logical ?

Yes it does. The baffle should allow a constant level to be maintained.

The tang looks weird because they are among the first captive raised.

Less shame and regret for even potentially damaging the reef ecosystem. As a diver, I see every fish as one that didn't get to grow old on the reef. Frags and captive raised fish is our long term future.

Back
Top Bottom